Grand Willys Project - Page 97 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2013
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

Thanks Ben.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 13-07-2013
LokRinger

Not much to show this week as been stripping down the 48 cab. Was so much harder as had extra welds where the 58 didn't and far more spot welds too. Don't know if it had some thing to do with the change of ownership when Willys Overland merged with Kaiser-Frazer Corporation which then traded as Willys Motors in 1953?

]
Can see this cab has extensive rust in the lower quarter panels on both sides. Fortunately the upper half was much better. Even the 58 cab is rusted here but not as badly so will repair those.

I have been looking at where I will add extra width to the grille and bonnet. This example they have added 5" each side extra between the headlights and the grille. Makes the grille look a bit too tall and skinny in my eyes.

The other thing is if done this way as the grille stays stock width and will cover about 5" of the radiator core from the donor I will be using.

On this one they have added 10" only to the grille area which changes the grille slots from 8 to 12. I think it looks too wide now and is more than the radiator needs as well so a lot of airflow passes by the sides.

So I am thinking of going some where between the two examples. Adding 2" next to the grille and only 2 extra slots in the grille to make 10, which is actually the same number the 48 cab had stock, just narrower ones. The photochop I show has the 10 slots now but have not added the extra 2" each side next to the grille in it. I will also be adding a total of just under 9" to mine rather than 10".
The only problem this gives is that it is a lot harder to add the extra to the bonnet/hood which must be added in the same spot. So rather than just one weld seam each side, will have to add 2 for a total of 4 full length welds running down the bonnet. That is a lot of heat to control to stop the whole lot buckling.

My web site:

Last edited by Gojeep; 02-08-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 14-07-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
a total of 4 full length welds running down the bonnet. That is a lot of heat to control to stop the whole lot buckling.
this will be difficult to do right but will pay off in the end and look much better
Old 15-07-2013
LokRinger

Thanks mate. Think it is worth the risk to try for the better proportions. At least I have three bonnets to play with.

My web site:
Old 15-07-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Are you planning on using the MIG or are you going to use a TIG or gas fusion weld to stitch the parts back together?

My understanding is MIG creates a brittle weld that doesn't take kindly to manipulation by hammer and dolly.

Jason
Old 16-07-2013
LokRinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
Are you planning on using the MIG or are you going to use a TIG or gas fusion weld to stitch the parts back together?

My understanding is MIG creates a brittle weld that doesn't take kindly to manipulation by hammer and dolly.

Jason
Going to try mig first but it has the problems you mentioned. If it doesn't work out well enough I will have to buy a tig. Not the answer either as it doesn't like anything unless very clean, preferably new metal, and the gal coating on the floor from the Grand is a major problem even after grinding it off.
Another gas bottle rental to pay for as well!

My web site:
Old 16-07-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Going to try mig first but it has the problems you mentioned. If it doesn't work out well enough I will have to buy a tig. Not the answer either as it doesn't like anything unless very clean, preferably new metal, and the gal coating on the floor from the Grand is a major problem even after grinding it off.
Another gas bottle rental to pay for as well!
It is a shame Speedgas don't operate down your way, you can buy a bottle from them.

I know it isn't doing it yourself but there appears to be some very talented panel beaters in Melbourne. Outsourcing could be the go as it may save a heap of time money and frustration, then again it could double it all.

Jason
Post New Thread  Reply