Commander Front Driveshaft - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah good GoJeep, thanks for that.
Old 10-10-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

I've bought two sets of ACardone CV's & drive shafts ex the USA. They come complete but there are issues as the replacement part outer rubber boots outer edge can some times rub on the rear of the alloy steering yoke assembly. Also these part seem very suitable for road use but absolute crap when hard off-roading. They soon wear / bruise and start to click. They only lasted me on two hard off road parks then I had to replace them. I'd expected you'd get about 50,000 km plus for road use which is pretty good for about $100 land at your door in Australia.
There are other brands of CV's ex the USA only have a 4 ball CV ball inner joint which is not good. The OEM Mopar CV's have an 8 ball arrangement which is far superior as it spreads the load better over a larger surface area and the metal hardness is amazing but no CV re conditioner in Australia can re mill and reco these OEM CV's.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html

Last edited by multihull; 13-10-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fud View Post
Thanks guys is this the kit you're talking about?

http://www.driveshaftparts.com/cv-jo.../prod_430.html
Yes that's the one I got Fud.
Old 12-10-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All fixed, thanks for all your help guys. Managed to source a replacement from "Outer Control C.V. Joints" in Myaree.
http://www.outercontrol.com.au/index.html
The owner Phil was very helpful and the replacement C.V. was a six baller like the one removed from the shaft. Also the rubber boot felt a lot thicker than the original C.V. I still have the box at home so I will post the Brand and part number tonight.
Cost $165, bit more than getting one from the US but my car is back on the road today. Just for a laugh I rang Jeep for a replacement, they quoted my $1050 for a new front drive shaft as they don't sell the C.V.'s separately, how do they sleep at night?
Anywho, car feels amazing again, we'll see how long this one lasts.

Cheers
Aaron
Old 12-10-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Good thread.

Yeah mate, had a laugh. I don't bother calling them lately. I used to before just to compare and see how much I'm saving but now couldn't be bothered anymore as I estimate usually 5-10 times the normal price.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 12-10-2012
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fud View Post
All fixed, thanks for all your help guys. Managed to source a replacement from "Outer Control C.V. Joints" in Myaree.
http://www.outercontrol.com.au/index.html
The owner Phil was very helpful and the replacement C.V. was a six baller like the one removed from the shaft. Also the rubber boot felt a lot thicker than the original C.V. I still have the box at home so I will post the Brand and part number tonight.
Cost $165, bit more than getting one from the US but my car is back on the road today. Just for a laugh I rang Jeep for a replacement, they quoted my $1050 for a new front drive shaft as they don't sell the C.V.'s separately, how do they sleep at night?
Anywho, car feels amazing again, we'll see how long this one lasts.

Cheers
Aaron
Glad it is all sorted now.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 12-10-2012
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

Dont laugh too hard Fud, i had to grab one from Suttons while at the Jambo, cooked one shaft on the highway on the way down, fitted the spare on the highway, then had to fit the one from Suttons on the way home when the next shaft let go They did look after me on price though, $940.....

Those driveshaftparts CV ends do work well, my spare front shaft that i wheeled all of Jambo with was fitted with them.