If no one can solve my boiling problem it's gq time!! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-02-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking like gonna chuck my spare motor in from my wreck xj

New gaskets on it too clean it up
Old 15-02-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 106 Times in 53 Posts

Or get a gq!

joking
Old 15-02-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Poootrols blow head gaskets too.
Old 16-02-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes but they don't break uni joints

They fit 35s easy

Don't over hear when wheeling

Keen to stick with the xj once I get my 35s on it and its running good again
Old 16-02-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,568 Times in 4,350 Posts

Has the cooling system been pressure tested ?
It does sound like a bad HG or a cracked head.
Old 16-02-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

I had exactly the same problem on my GQ, so a GQ is not necessarily the answer to your problems. It would lose water over a period and boil or it wouldn't run on LPG as the water level would drop to such an extent that it would not heat the LPG converter and all the lines would be frozen. It had no leaks and the cooling system pressure tested OK. A mechanic talked me out of a compression test and a week later the it ground to a halt with a cylinder full of water, fortunately no major damage just a new head and $3,500 lighter in the wallet. 250,000 km out of a GQ head on LPG seems to be pretty standard.
Old 16-02-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Mate, reading this makes me want to assume the fetal position and cry..

GQ's a great, but give me a cherokee anyday.
Mate, if you're loosing water, your motor is drinking it.
You are overheating because you are loosing all the pressure in you're system (pressure being the reason it doesn't flashboil at the block)
The cast iron motors are fantastic, i've never been able to overheat another motor so many times and then drive off with nothing wrong
the XJ motor swap, if it's easy enough will solve your problems, I'd rather fix a head gasket then swap a motor though

Last edited by Dustbowl; 16-02-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply