Setting up the Jeep for towing - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Check van wheel alignment preferably at a truck aligner.Plus check when oils fluids last changed.if 8 speed ZF change atf at around 60000 klms ,do not take any notice of sealed for life b———t !

Last edited by bjm; 31-05-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 31-05-2021
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When we first had a 'van a couple of basic mistakes made me write up a checklist, best thing I did. On one occasion I'd forgotten the chains, on another trip an unsecured kitchen drawer ended up damaged on the floor, both times discovered after travelling about 300 kms.
Years later I still use the list on my final walk around (i.e. the critical double check) and far less stress. A lesson from pilots!
Old 06-07-2021
Established Member

Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Take delivery of my Network RV Caravan next week and looking forward to it. I'm assuming that yours came with a rearview camera, I'd be interested to see how it was hooked up in your in the JGC. I hate screwing things into the dash or making holes that can be seen so I want an unobtrusive install if possible so it can be easily removed when I'm not towing.

Are you happy with your van? Bit late now but if you have had any issues I can look out for them.
Old 07-07-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

This time I just fitted a cam which suction cups to windscreen, 5" screen no need for some big thing, picked up power for it from my dash cam supply ran wires under carpet and out thru the same hole my tow wires enter then its just a 2 pin microphone socket fitted at the rear, when not in use the screen just unpplugs as the wires lay under the dash mat ......... I only bother with the vid cable see no need for audio. On my van I fitted a 90 deg cam which picks up power from the fridge supply, was easier plus if cam drops off I know the fridge hasn't power just 2 wires run to socket on draw bar................... I use a 90 deg cam as then you can see the Kenni way down the road unlike the dinky reverse cams which are 120 deg and you see bugga all until they are 10 ft from back..........
Great your getting your new van, one thing you must do is take the time and make sure they explain everything and they run everything before you drive off, don't assume it all works, open every draw and door, make sure they work properly, have them run your water pump, AC, HWS everything if you have a washing machine its a must they run it, use the clean cycle as they often leak water everywhere as the apprentice never plumbed the pipes correctly........ Dont take the "We don't have time story", its easier to just walk away and say I'll come back when you do than have your van sitting in driveway waiting for a month or so for a service date so they can fix it................... Remember they are salesmen, not RV experts .

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 07-07-2021
Established Member

Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Drover, you're right there is alot to test and check. They are deinfately not RV experts and they don't seem to know much about the technical details. I've done as much as I can so I'm hoping that the quality control was good.

I'll know on Monday!!
Old 07-07-2021
AJOR Gold

Liked 118 Times in 69 Posts

Finding this an interesting thread.
We bit the bullet and ordered a Mountain Trail RV 4.7, due end of January 2022. Yes they are bloody expensive but we wanted reliability, comfort, hard roof and importantly, under 2.1 metres wide and under 2800kg fully loaded.
I watched a YouTube video of a Chinese built van taken up the Oodnadatta track I think it was and the whole suspension just collapsed. It looked like the chassis just snapped in numerous spots, I didn’t want to be that guy!
Importantly, the constant van checks are very, very important every time you set off so I for one will be making a list and checking it twice.
It’s my dream caravan or Hybrid as they call them and I cannot wait to head off out there along with the thousands of other caravaners.
Old 08-07-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

I have come across all vans seem to have similar teething problems no matter what the pedigree, the Quality Control is lacking no matter how much you pay, my best advice for those starting off is read all the manuals on your vans equipment, take note of model numbers.
Facebook blogs are usually dodgy in regards to advice, often people don't read the books.
Always check wheel nuts when someone else has played with your van.
First timers do a few little runs to work out how it all works and what you actually need, don't go buying stuff until you know you have a need as it usually ends up as dollars left in the shed.

The JGC is a great tow vehicle but you need to watch what you load into your vehicle, once you have a couple of bums and some small hand carry along with a tank of fuel and a caravan on the back you will be on your loadings for the vehicle (GVM) there is no leeway for fridges, an extra wheel or heaps of gear and the heavier your van you have even less load capacity...... if you have bar work,roof racks you will be lucky for a couple of bottoms on seats ....... simple maths that most of us ignore anyway and its not just our Jeeps its all vehicles other than Cruisers or Patrols really.... 3.5t tow cap is really about 2.8t.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply