The End Is Nigh Great Wall Motors Confirms Intent to Purchase Jeep Brand - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-08-2017
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default The End Is Nigh Great Wall Motors Confirms Intent to Purchase Jeep Brand

<br />
The End Is Nigh Great Wall Motors Confirms Intent to Purchase Jeep BrandWe have heard whispers in the past weeks that Chinese automakers were vying to purchase Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA).

Automotive News reports today that Great Wall Motor Company has confirmed its intent to purchase the Jeep brand separately.

In the past weeks, Automotive News reported meetings in China between FCA executives, Donfeng Motor Group, Geely Automotive Holdings, and Guangzhou Automobile Group. FCA stated last week that an offer from an unknown Chinese automaker was rejected, but no details were released.

This follows earlier reports that the Jeep brand is worth more than all of Fiat Chrysler combined, with Jeep sales expected to make up nearly half of FCA’s sales by 2018.

In an email from Wang Fengying, president of Great Wall, Automotive News learned Great Wall is “connecting with FCA” to begin negotiations to purchase the Jeep brand. FCA still will not confirm that it was approached by Great Wall.

It is no wonder why companies want to acquire Jeep—the brand boasts international recognition dating back to its World War II roots. In the decades since, Chrysler purchased Jeep from American Motors Corporation, Fiat North America merged with Chrysler, and there have even been speculations of General Motors buying FCA.

Shares in Fiat Chrysler Automobiles jumped 7.4% in New York on Monday and have jumped more than a quarter this year, valuing the company at just over $19bn (£14.7bn).

However, the Jeep brand alone could be worth as much as $27bn, according to Morgan Stanley analysts. Jeep sold 1.4 million vehicles last year and aims to shift 2 million vehicles annually by 2018.

Great Wall sold just over 1 million vehicles last year - mostly in China, which is now the world's largest car market. Bill Russo, a former Chrysler executive now with Gao Feng Advisory Group, said he believed Great Wall wanted Jeep rather than all of FCA and its debts of about $4.9bn.

"Jeep is the crown jewel of Fiat Chrysler in terms of brand and equity," he said. Great Wall is known for its SUVs, vehicles, which are popular in China, so a deal would be "quite complementary", Mr Russo added.

Earlier this year, it officially launched a new premium SUV brand called Wei, which potentially could tap into the US market. Fiat Chrysler chief executive Sergio Marchionne is seeking a partner or buyer to help it manage rising costs, emissions regulations and the development of electric and self-driving cars.

What does this mean for Jeep customers? Nothing yet until we get concrete details regarding any possible merger.

Share your thoughts below.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com

Last edited by Jimmyb; 22-08-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 22-08-2017
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

I would like to state I am also interested in buying Jeep, for the right price, but I think it's as likely as FCA selling off the best part of their business to Great Wall

Cheers
Steve
Old 22-08-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

I'd like to share my thoughts on this topic but I'll get banned for profanities.
Old 23-08-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

I guess it's a bit like Tata owning Land Rover. They still make a good product. (Not as good as Jeep)
Old 23-08-2017
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

So it's looking more likely that my next purchase will be a Ford Everest.

I'm still too young and enjoying life too much to buy a Toyota.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 23-08-2017
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

BEIJING -- Great Wall Motor Co. cooled prospects for a deal with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, saying there are no talks and it may not pursue a takeover the Italian-American car manufacturer’s Jeep division.

Commenting just a day after expressing interest, Great Wall said there are “big uncertainties” whether it will continue to study Fiat Chrysler, the Baoding-based automaker said in a filing to the Shanghai stock exchange. The Chinese company’s efforts have “not generated concrete progress as of now,” and it has not established contacts with Fiat’s board.

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne stoked deal speculation last month when he said the automaker will evaluate whether to spin off some businesses. The Jeep marque anchors the company’s mass-market car operations and has been a key focus of expansion. Reflecting the brand’s importance, Morgan Stanley estimates Jeep is worth about $24.2 billion, about $4.7 billion more than the entire group’s market value.

It’s unlikely Fiat would sell Jeep on its own, which would mean also taking on other brands like Dodge, Ram and Chrysler. Great Wall could also have found it tough to obtain Chinese regulatory approval due to recent restrictions on capital outflow, Deutsche Bank AG analysts Vincent Ha and Fei Sun wrote in a report Tuesday. An acquisition would also require U.S. approval, which could be complicated under the current administration, they said.

“We cannot ignore the potential policy hurdles involved in a potential cross-border M&A,” Ha and Sun said in the note. “The chance of a significant M&A for GWM is still remote.”

Great Wall’s shares were suspended from trading in Hong Kong and Shanghai on Tuesday pending a clarification of press reports. The automaker said on Monday that it was interested in buying Jeep. Fiat said there’s been no approach from Great Wall on Jeep “or any other matter relating to its business.”

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 24-08-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Well, this is.. surprising.
Post New Thread  Reply