Larger Tyres on My KL? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Larger Tyres for my KL Limited.

I need new tyres, and would prefer to fit something that has an All Terrain tread and sidewall due to the travelling/towing we'll be doing in the next 12 months in Northern Australia.
Old 16-12-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

FWIW we've had Hankook Dynapro AT/M's on our Trailhawk for over a year now. we've admittedly done very little offroad - and none of it in mud - but what we have done on gravel and rocks the tyres have felt fine. Onroad they handle better, "jiggle" less and are quieter than the factory Geolandar SUV's. Wear wise there's still HEAPS of tread left - they hardly look worn at all. I have found that for road use, pretty high pressure - ie. at least 40psi cold - results in SOFTER feeling and smoother ride (they'll run at 3.0 to 3.1 kpa on the evic at running temperature). Lower px onroad causes harshness and sharper ride. Shoulder wear is really the only wear that's evident - and that I think reflects the need for higher pressure - if i'd realised and been more diligent right from the beginning with keeping the pressure up then what little wear there is would be even less. They also look fantastic

Last edited by Trailfirst; 16-12-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 20-12-2017
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default New tyres for my KL Limited.

Thank you trailfirst for your information, I guess I'm a little wary of Asian branded tyres, but it seems they may have come of age in the last few years. I've had some scary moments on a couple of these brands but never on American or European brands, thankfully which tends to make one wary!
Old 29-12-2017
Established Member

I understand - but can vouch 100% for Hankook AT/M's. They get good reviews on ProductReviews as well. Altho we admittedly haven't used them in much anger offroad ourselves yet, their performance amazingly enough onroad SHITS on the Aussie supplied Geolandar SUV tyres. On the road around town, at high speed on the open highway and hanging ur arse out on twisty mountain roads they are superior in every way!

EDIT: Update after 2 yrs 9 mths and about 42400km - the wear on our Dynapro AT-m's is pretty good - ie. they're still at between 40 and 50% so I'd reckon they're on track to last about 70000 - BUT - their wet weather performance fell off really quickly at about the 18 month mark - so I suspect the compound has hardened.

In the dry they feel and handle GREAT in all respects.

On wet bitumen the steering gets much lighter and they just don't feel "solid" which makes you slow right down. I have actually had the rear slide a little bit at a traffic light right turn onto main road from side road - ie. means transitioning the big centre "hump" well into the turn. Wasn't being silly or anything else unusual. It FELT like it wanted to slide - and it did Might have been oil on the road etc. but it feels the same on roundabouts etc. and possibly the one different thing on THAT turn was I ignored what I was feeling and tried to stick it out when normally I'd back off. Braking in the wet they don't feel nasty tho - they seem fine with that.

As a further note the wear would be at LEAST 50% overall except for Driver side camber issue which has led to all of the tyres being a bit more down than they should - and most significanty the current driver front being unevenly worn.

Last edited by Trailfirst; 24-06-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: More info for future searchers.
Old 30-12-2017
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs up New Tyres, at Last!

Hi Traifirst, I have at last fitted the new tyres, after some discussion with a number of Cherokee owners both here and in the US I have fitted a new release A/T tyre made by the General Tyre company called the Grabber GT it has a mostly highway based tread with some aggressive elements in it great on gravel and sand, but great on the hiway as well so after only a few thou I'm pretty happy initially it felt a little over tyred! But they seem to have settled down OK and feel great very quite and yes they do work well on gravel. After some discussion with my local Bob Jane team we ended up fitting 255/55 R 18's they are only a fraction smaller in height than the Trailhawk standard tyre so no trouble fitting on the standard rims. I guess we'll see at 10000 klms what they are like?

Last edited by ZIP; 01-01-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 24-06-2019
Established Member

General Tyres is apparently owned by / subsidiary of Continental tyres - so those General Grabbers have an excellent "pedigree" behind them! (thumbsup).
Old 24-10-2019
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Just fitted a set of 245/65R17 Pirelli Scorpion ATs to our 2014 Latitude.
With no lift I think this is as big as you can go (&on std wheels). I seem to get a little bottom out rubbing in the rear, but it serms minor and haven't had time to investigate further.
But much happier with the stance etc compared to stock 225/65r17.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply