Wh Grand Cherokee Common Faults And Issues - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok mine;

Body - Bonnet out of alignment

Engine - 1. I have the unfixable "hemi shudder", IMO, it's transmission related (torque convertor)
2. Intermittently noisy valve train (lifters)

Transmission - 1. The shudder
2. Occasional rough 4th gear engagement on light throttle.
3. Leak (fixed) from somewhere? (5.7 runs different box to CRD)

Rear differential - Diff whine at 100 klm/h light load, dealer aware, yet to have ok to fix it!

Suspension - 1. also have the creak
2. Sway bar bushes on their way out.

Electrics 1. WAY too many dud batteries.
2. Dealer fit rear seat DVD failure.
3. Factory GPS on the blink occasionally.
4. ABS cycles when slowing uphill. I heard TSB to fix, dealer denies!!!!!!

Brakes - Factory pads suffer "pad buildup" very quickly when used for towing or driven with intent.

Cheers guys
Old 01-05-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have blown my front diff bearings. Its currently getting rebuilt vehicle is now out of warranty (103,000km) but I have been complaining about the service 4wd light coming on continually. They have found a faulty sensor and after I pushed to find out why the sensor failed and the on going gear noise they fond the problem. ill keep you informed.

How do you guys feel about WH Grands? I just cant imagine taking mine away on a long off road trip without it breaking down
Old 01-05-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah..... I love the concept, the traction, the way it drives, and most of all the power! BUT, if I was to do another Cape or Outback trip, I'd be straight back into something Japanese......
Isn't it amazing how one can have so much faith in an entire country's motor vehicle industry!
Old 02-05-2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WH faults

I seem to have an ongoing problem with my 2005 WH CRD with oil leaks.

So far.

Transmission electrical plug.
Air intake box.
Transmission oil cooler supply line-recall.
Transmission pilot bush.
Oil temperature sensor washer not sealing.
Diff pinion seal.

This in only 56,000ks,dealer assures me that it is not a common problem but I would like to hear if anyone else is having similar problems,particularly with not long to go on warranty.
Cheers,Dick.
Old 05-05-2008
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkomagic View Post
I

How do you guys feel about WH Grands? I just cant imagine taking mine away on a long off road trip without it breaking down
My WH is on the road pretty much all the time and i have no quarms at all about taking it anywhere...I'm rackin up the kilometers fast....it hasn't given me any real probs at all yet, cept for fuel consumption.......it's shockin.........I don't suppose my heavyish right foot helps much either..lolol....I reckon i can get better economy out of it once it's outa warranty and I'm allowed to tinker with it....My ZG regularly gets 1000ks out of a single tank......Kim
Old 02-07-2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 2006 WH CRD (with only 30,000kms - I know, gotta get out there more):
- Got the 'Service 4WD system' flashing light once - fixed per TSB
- ABS shudders braking uphill, usually when cresting a rise
- Fuel consumption as bad as 18.5l/100km in city cycle
- Gas struts for bonnet fail to hold bonnet up for more than a minute - ouch!
- Rear left suspension creak - fixed under warranty
- Seat memory for driver 1 cannot be reset, intermitent problem
- Mopar front tow hooks for WH will NOT FIT THE CRD model - the turbo oil radiator plumbing fouls the plate of the towhook. I bought the hooks in U.S. (same part number as Oz WH part), so cannot return them. If anyone has successfully got an angle grinder onto the baseplate of these hooks and fitted them around the turbo radiator plumbing - please let me know! (I'm about to try grinding them down - gotta have recovery points for any serious off road fun).
- Otherwise pleasantly surprised with the reliability and lack of problems, great car, just needs a lift and some bash plates

- Finners
Old 13-12-2008

Default Brake Shudder Uphill

I noticed a couple of complaints about brake shudder up hill. I found this on: http://www.wkjeeps.com/recalls/wk_recall.htm

2006 - 2007 (WK) Jeep® Grand Cherokee
(XK) Jeep® Commander
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a model 245 two speed transfer case (sales code DHX).

The software programmed into the Electronic Brake Control (EBC) module on about 296,000 of the above vehicles may allow a momentary delay in braking when coasting up a hill during certain conditions. This could increase the vehicle’s stopping distance and cause a crash without warning.

Repair
The EBC module must be reprogrammed (flashed).

Cheers…….. Kenjo
Post New Thread  Reply