JK stereo upgrade - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2020
RealJeepsdon'thavedoors

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default JK stereo upgrade

Hey anyone here upgraded their radio head unit? Like the idea of a reverse camera and apple and android car play. I see some no brand Chinese units on ebay but would rather go with jvc kenwood pioneer etc, there is an Aerpro installation kit for jk wrangler available, anyone done this? Supposed to still be able to use control buttons on steering wheel, does the phone button still work and curious about the auto dimming rear view mirror that apparently is part of the uconnect system, does it still work if you bypass uconnect, I know you'll have to run another microphone wire for the phone. Anyway, some thoughts or recommendations from somone who's done this would be great thanks
Old 05-06-2020
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I picked up a Pioneer headunit at JB on sale - maybe 200-260? Was pretty plug and play - I got a cheap eBay camera and wired it to the reverse lights and used some magnets and stuck it to the spare so I could adjust it for the bike rack etc. Works perfect for what I need and only involved a few curse words when installing.

I don't use the uconnect or apple, I just bluetooth from my phone and I don't have wheel buttons, but I am pretty sure the head unit itself came with instructions on how to make sure all of that was incorporated.
Old 05-06-2020
RealJeepsdon'thavedoors

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, I'm guessing you used some kind of wiring kit an adapter for the dash?
Old 09-06-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Hi, I'm guessing you used some kind of wiring kit an adapter for the dash?
Yeah, something like this.

I remember doing the research because there were a lot of similar options and the local shops only had the Ford/Holden/Major Brands adapters.
Old 09-06-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

I started upgrading my OEM 430 head unit to an Alpine Halo9 Jr unit yesterday and will be doing it little by little over the coming days in between working from home, and moving my reverse camera from my VMS to the head unit while figuring out a solution for a front camera too.

I have tried many of the cheaper head units over the years and played with as many of the Android-based head units as I could find recently and while there are a few that are good, some of their interfaces are cumbersome to use, some have problems like parasitic battery draw when the car is switched off, they have poor FM receivers (important to me), they pick up interference or have buzzing noises through the speakers. The biggest reason why I stick with "name brand" units is I don't think any of the Android units output good enough sound quality to make good use of my factory Alpine speakers.

The easiest way and maybe the cheapest way to upgrade from stock to aftermarket is to use the Stinger HRCH001 kit that includes the Metra facia and head unit mount panel, the PAC RP4-CH11 to keep steering wheel controls, FM antenna adapter and the cables for connecting this to the car end. I soldered ISO plugs onto those cables, as I always do with all my cars to make future upgrades easier, and then got an Alpine to ISO cable for the head unit end to make it all as plug-and-play as possible. If you don't have or don't want to keep steering wheel controls, you can skip the PAC RP4-CH11.

Everything that I read said that I can remove the Uconnect module and the factory mic because their only purpose is steering wheel control interface and bluetooth. I don't think they are connected to my auto-dimming mirror but its wiring is contained in the same bundle as the mic, which I am leaving to last because I need to take my grab handles off to get to it. I will let you know if I do see anything when I get to that part of the install. The only hacky solution that I need to figure out after removing the Uconnect module is the easiest way to connect up the USB port in the armrest console so it at least gets power because it plugs into a micro USB plug on the Uconnect module .

The good thing about the way that the JK is wired up is that the head unit harness includes signal wires for when the handbrake is engaged, which Android Auto needs for its setup steps, and when reverse is engaged, which most head units use to switch over to the reverse camera picture, but even then it's pretty easy to run wiring in the JK with it's easy to remove panels and carpeting.
Old 10-06-2020
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I put the Joying 7" Plug and Play Android unit that I got from Gianni here. https://gmcartech.square.site/
The unit is fantastic and has a sim card slot so you can run a data sim for spotify and any other android apps you like. He provides full support too.

Last edited by Big Dave; 16-06-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-06-2020
Established Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Hi st za
You mention some andriods are better than others.
Been looking at these as I want a correct fit 7 inch head unit, without extra spacers on the side.
Want android for OBD2 app. Want to run maps independent of phone. In your opinion which is the better android and which OS, 8.0 9.0 or 10.0?
Most claim to be able to learn steering buttons.
Post New Thread  Reply