Tools - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sweet....probably the best 20 bucks you've ever spent...
Old 09-10-2013
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yep - hardly ever use the Torx sockets now.
Old 09-10-2013
i am the CIG

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

box of welding rods

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother
Old 10-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud_slut View Post
Brand of choice: Not a cheap brand
Depends on what it is. for the most commonly used & abused definately. for things like snap pliers, torque wrenches, or vice grips definately agree.
But a $2 no name wire brush isn't a bad alternative to a $100 Snap-on.
Also I've rather have a cheap too that might just get a triuck job done, than not have the tool at all

2 best investment I reekon are 1. Good tool chest so it's easy to organise & find your tools. 2a. Aldi coffe machine & 2b. small fridge.
Old 10-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts
Default Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toff View Post
Depends on what it is. for the most commonly used & abused definately. for things like snap pliers, torque wrenches, or vice grips definately agree.
But a $2 no name wire brush isn't a bad alternative to a $100 Snap-on.
Also I've rather have a cheap too that might just get a triuck job done, than not have the tool at all

2 best investment I reekon are 1. Good tool chest so it's easy to organise & find your tools. 2a. Aldi coffe machine & 2b. small fridge.
I don't think a snap on brush would be $100..but you can't account for everyone's budgets or mechanic capabilities or even needs. Someone who is only going to change the oil would not need the best set compared to someone who plans on doing all their own mechanical work and working every weekend. Budget would also play a big part, I know people who buy sid chrome everything and their tools just collect dust and some people who are constantly replacing cheap ratchets. But it sucks when you destroy your only 14mm spanner pulling the first of 10 bolts out and you now can't drive your car to replace it or finish the job
I guess application would be a valid metric as well. The toolset in my car is a cheap supertool where as the set at home is a Stanley 240 with the chest, not the best set but for my budget and how much I use it it does the job well. I would cheap out on a wire brush or stubby spanner set but would buy a well known torque wrench over the aldi branded one as I have more faith a $200 torque wrench is going to torque my head bolts properly to a $20 one
Old 10-10-2013
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,550 Times in 4,342 Posts

When I bust a socket it gets replaced with a air gun type socket. havent broken any of them yet. have a broken Sidchrome socket bar that they wouldnt replace under warranty. it has the 1/2" square broken off. Guess they thought I must have been using a 3' extension handle.
Old 10-10-2013
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Guess they thought I must have been using a 3' extension handle.
My 3" breaker bar is one of the best tools I have
Post New Thread  Reply