New crd injectors or sell? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default New crd injectors or sell?

Hi everyone, just after opinions on what you would do.
My CRD 04 Grand Cherokee is needing more money to be spent on it to keep it going but it has 340,000kms on it and I'm tossing up if I should just upgrade instead.
It currently stalls if I give it any more than 70% throttle and throws a low fuel pressure fault code. I completed a leak back test and it shows injectors 4 & 5 are no good which sucks because I got less than 10,000kms out of 5 remanufactured injectors from commonraildiesel.com . I've put a seal kit through the high pressure pump and the low pressure pump is completely new. I've even installed an inline electric pump before the filter. All the fuel line springs and some of the fuel lines themselves have been replaced. I've replaced the transmission shifter electrical board with the upgraded one recommended on here and done numerous other things to keep it all running well.
Would you fork out $2,000 on 5 new injectors on it or would you sell the car and put the money towards a WH Grand petrol V8 (not real keen on another CRD)?
Old 04-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Bloody auto correct. Fuel line o rings, not fuel line springs.
Old 04-09-2018
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I'd be inclined to move it on if is has 340K on the clock.

High mileage CRDs can be more trouble than they're worth, I'm hesitant about owning another, but is some cases you don't have much of an option.

$2000 buys a lot of petrol for a V8.

Jason
Old 04-09-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If I had it to do again, knowing what I know now, I would have bought a WK 3.0 CRD rather than the WG 2.7 CRD. Just being 100% honest.

If you are chasing the most reliable of the lot, then the 4.0L petrol WJ is the answer, I think. Also, they are the cheapest.
Old 04-09-2018
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
If I had it to do again, knowing what I know now, I would have bought a WK 3.0 CRD rather than the WG 2.7 CRD. Just being 100% honest.
This engine also has it's challenges too from what I believe, common rails are just bloody expensive and often difficult to fix when they break, they are great when they're working though.

Jason
Old 04-09-2018
Established Member

Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Try getting reman injectors directly(or rebuilt) from BOSCH service center. If you were to sell your 340K 2.7 CRD, it would take a long time to sell unless your willing to sell for a really low price.

Do those reman injectors from common rail diesel come with a warranty?

The WH CRD also suffers from potential oil cooler leak, which would be very expensive to fix since the cooler is located in the middle of the V.
Old 25-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Ok so my circumstances changed an upgrading was no longer on the cards so I forked out for 5 brand new bosch injectors. It does go better and I can definitely put my foot down further but the bastard of a thing still stalls. Before the car use to stall if I gave it anything more than 70% throttle and now it stalls if I give it more than 80% throttle.

So the car has 5 brand new injectors, a brand new low pressure pump, a new seal kit in the high pressure pump, all new o-rings throughout fuel lines and an inline 6psi electric fuel pump. I've got a new fuel filter that I could install but didn't bother considering the Mann filter in there has done no more than 5,000kms.
Any ideas? I've committed to the car so I might as well see it through.