WK2 Brake Lights not working (but third brake light does) - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-05-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Running over the wiring diagram again I did a bum steer while the centre stop light is a white/violet colour I can't really find what the colour of the side brake wires are, I can't find the damn things.... so may need some one to have a look... (the White/Tan is for the 14-17 models)

Interesting that Farwest reports he has a globe for tail light, mine is LeD and the WSM for 11-13 says its LeD and that Export models the brake gets its feed from the brake switch like the centre light while the TIPM powers the brake lights on US models, whats to bet thats BS and yours is as the yanks, that would be why your centre light comes on as it runs off the brake switch ...........
In that case instead of ginning around I would locate the centre brake light circuit (think its on the left of boot or lift door) and plug, tap in a new line to both side brake lights, chuck the globe and change them to a wedge 3157 led in the hope of keeping the power sensor happy, a clear job not the red one, clear is brighter in a red lens ...
Just test the earth cables as well for continuity, be surprised the weird things a bad earth will do.

"11-13 WSM QUOTE"

BRAKE LAMPS
The brake (or stop) lamps and the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) each have a path to ground at all
times through a takeout and eyelet terminal of the body wire harness that is secured by a ground screw to the
body sheet metal within the passenger compartment. The brake lamps and CHMSL receive battery voltage on
the brake lamp switch feed circuit when the brake lamp switch is closed by the brake pedal arm. On domestic
market vehicles, the TIPM monitors an input from the brake lamp switch, then provides the proper outputs to
the brake lamps, while the CHMSL is controlled by a hard wired output from the brake lamp switch. On export
market vehicles, the CHMSL and brake lamps are connected to a hard wired output from the brake lamp switch.
On vehicles so equipped, the brake lamp function of the trailer tow stop/turn relays is controlled by an output
from the TIPM based upon the hard wired input from the brake lamp switch.
"END QUOTE"

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 15-05-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 15-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Running over the wiring diagram again I did a bum steer while the centre stop light is a white/violet colour I can't really find what the colour of the side brake wires are, I can't find the damn things.... so may need some one to have a look... (the White/Tan is for the 14-17 models)

Interesting that Farwest reports he has a globe for tail light, mine is LeD and the WSM for 11-13 says its LeD and that Export models the brake gets its feed from the brake switch like the centre light while the TIPM powers the brake lights on US models, whats to bet thats BS and yours is as the yanks, that would be why your centre light comes on as it runs off the brake switch ...........
In that case instead of ginning around I would locate the centre brake light circuit (think its on the left of boot or lift door) and plug, tap in a new line to both side brake lights, chuck the globe and change them to a wedge 3157 led in the hope of keeping the power sensor happy, a clear job not the red one, clear is brighter in a red lens ...
Just test the earth cables as well for continuity, be surprised the weird things a bad earth will do.

"11-13 WSM QUOTE"

BRAKE LAMPS
The brake (or stop) lamps and the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) each have a path to ground at all
times through a takeout and eyelet terminal of the body wire harness that is secured by a ground screw to the
body sheet metal within the passenger compartment. The brake lamps and CHMSL receive battery voltage on
the brake lamp switch feed circuit when the brake lamp switch is closed by the brake pedal arm. On domestic
market vehicles, the TIPM monitors an input from the brake lamp switch, then provides the proper outputs to
the brake lamps, while the CHMSL is controlled by a hard wired output from the brake lamp switch. On export
market vehicles, the CHMSL and brake lamps are connected to a hard wired output from the brake lamp switch.
On vehicles so equipped, the brake lamp function of the trailer tow stop/turn relays is controlled by an output
from the TIPM based upon the hard wired input from the brake lamp switch.
"END QUOTE"
How bizarre - I changed a globe on my previous MY11 and it was definitely a halogen job; haven't had to do my MY15 yet, but based on how the light behaves, it's definitely a halogen as well...

Old 15-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCheese View Post
How bizarre - I changed a globe on my previous MY11 and it was definitely a halogen job; haven't had to do my MY15 yet, but based on how the light behaves, it's definitely a halogen as well...
My old WG didn't have some globes as per spec's ............ brake light globe on side on mine is certainly just a basic twin filament wedge job, at least it is in a plastic holder not just a glass base, I may swap to led one day...... 3157 T20 led is about the same price as the filament 3157 so might splash out....

Filament 3157...

and LED T20 3157..........

Old 15-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,312 Times in 754 Posts

Yep....pulled down my post...removal of lens was incorrect....globe is wedge type double filament globe...OP has changed globes and issue remains.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 16-05-2023
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Red face

Solved
After much stuffing around the problems were a poor connection to the brake light part of the dual filament blub on one side (fixed by poking it with a sharp object until the pins aligned) and a blown brake light filament with loose connections on the other side - this was complicated by a somewhat loose connection from the light housing to the harness. I did not know that the body side brake lights were dual filament and spent my time looking for other solutions.
I suspect I was driving with one light out for some time so it was not two bad lights at the same time.
So now I know - thanks to all posters for the advice and information.
Old 16-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,312 Times in 754 Posts

Good stuff...a li'l tricky but simple...nice.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 17-05-2023
MonsterMoose

and thats why I have a dislike for wedge globes, they are so finicky ........ using a dual filament for a single circuit I suppose is easier as more available type and also means you should be able to rotate the light and use the good one in an emergency....

One should always test both filaments of a dual filament globe...... anyway a 3157 globe is what you want . Phillips or Hella forget the number for the Narva as I think they use different numbering.

Post New Thread  Reply