2006 WE Rock Rules - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Rock Crawling
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-11-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
It's good that they've adjusted the Modified class, although I don't agree with the 37" max tyre rule. Those of us with full bodied vehicles that want to compete in WE rock are generally larger than 37" tyres.
I think you will find that WErock is not really meant for full bodied rigs.
You can certainly enter and compete and have a great time, but I would predict that they are moving away from full bodied rigs to buggies only.

From my experience spotting for Shane in the Firetruck, anything full bodied will not have a lot of chance of really being competitive.

A few observations...

The courses are designed for buggies.
Full bodied rigs are guaranteed panel damage.
The spotter will not be able to stop a full bodied rig from rolling due to weight
The spotter cannot manipulate a full bodied rig as easily as a buggy
There are bonus lines you can't even contemplate trying because you know you will roll over.
Buggies are cheaper to build
Easier to fix damage to panels, mounts etc.
No rego
Easier to trailer

The modified class is meant to be a slightly lower budget class that the crowd can associate with.
The modified buggies are meant to look more like current trucks and that is the main reason for the two seat and panel rules.

It is a shame, but I cannot see how full bodied rigs will be competitive next year. The courses will get harder and harder, and more competitive buggies will be appearing.

If there is enough interest it may be worthwhile asking Sam to run a class for full bodied trucks, but realistically I can see everyone building buggies as fast as they can.

Next year will be very interesting...
Old 30-11-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I definately won't be building a buggy in the next year or so, I've put too much into the TJ, so I'm going to do as many comps as I can in that.

Basically the rules are calling for a bodied vehicle in the modified class, that's the bit that has got me unsure.

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 30-11-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Yeah I definately won't be building a buggy in the next year or so, I've put too much into the TJ, so I'm going to do as many comps as I can in that.

Basically the rules are calling for a bodied vehicle in the modified class, that's the bit that has got me unsure.
Only if you run bigger than 37's, have rear steer or full hydro steer.
Sam even said that he would of overlooked Shanes full hydro if we had rocked up with some 37's

I would definitely recommend you get some 37's organised and compete in modified as you will be more competitive and will have to think your way around the course a lot more

It is amazing how big the jeep becomes when you are trying to drive the Werock courses.
It is a small four wheel drive compared to most, but out on the course it feels like a tank.

cheers

z
Old 30-11-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wasn't planning on competing in unlimited, hence my post re measurement of tyre size being taken from sidewall or true measurement. My swampers measure 37", failing that, the MTRs are an option, but not a very good one.

http://maddog.zook.org
Old 30-11-2005
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I sent this to Sam, I think some of us that would like to support a new clasification should also consider doing the same

There is currently a lot of talk in the rockcrawling section of ausjeep talking about the rules and the categories that some of the vehicles will fit into.

With consideration that a lot of moon buggies are now being built, how is it run in the states? I beleive we should have the production class as currently outlined, but then have something between the moon buggies and the production.

A class that will allow for the larger vehicles, yes like mine and a lot of other of similar size so that they are not up against the moon buggies.

I have built mine as something I wanted to build, and I know I dont stand a chance against a nimble moon buggy, but I also know there are people considering competing that dont fit into the production class and therefore wont compete because they know against the moon buggies its not worth it.

Just wanted to voice an opinion there. If another class was added I would be happy to help and support that clasification.

Cheers
Jimmy

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Post New Thread  Reply