New govt 6% tax on diesel fuel - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 349 Times in 182 Posts
Default New govt 6% tax on diesel fuel

Well, i reckon this is only the start.
The federal govt has just whacked all of us diesel drivers with a 6% extra tax on diesel. The treasurer states “we could have done 10%”
For a bloke that is claiming he is addressing the nations inflation rate he does not have an idea .
Does he not realise its going to push up food and goods prices, anything that uses road transport as well as every diesel car owner paying more out their pockets.
This bloke has no clue about economics.
I suppose its all in their ideoligical effort to encourage (bludgeon) everyone into having an electric vehicle.
Unfortunately this govt only cares about inner city dwellers!!!
Old 12-05-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

They were talking about removing the rebate for diesel on fuel for vehicles/equipment used on farms/mines etc and now I see they are going to remove the heavy vehicle rebate so we can certainly see prices go thru the roof soon....... typical of this mob to slug a commodity that affects every single thing............... need to fund the pie in sky plans.

Its a dream about EV trucks on the highways, it will certainly be a long time before they get rigs that can run for a thousand kms or more... plus they will be taxed heaps as batteries or fuel tanks they will still weigh the same ..................

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 12-05-2023 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

This is somewhat misguided - the 6% increase is to the Heavy Vehicle Road User Charge, which is calculated per litre of diesel used, and affects trucks, busses, and coaches.

So it won’t impact consumers directly, but as you said, will have flow-own effects due to increased supply chain costs.

Last edited by LeCheese; 12-05-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,138 Times in 602 Posts

All what is happening to this country now is no surprise...we could all see it coming on election day last year.
You do realise that Chalmers was trained by, and was an advisor to Wayne Swan, the bloke who promised how many surpluses and could never control spending?
Chalmers is a career Politician, has never held a job outside of the Labor Party...he has not got a clue about real life or cost pressures on families.

We can only expect higher taxes and soaring inflation under this Government as they kowtow to the Greens, as without them they cannot form Government...so expect a whole lot more pain in the hip pocket when it comes to fossil fuel costs as they attempt to "force" families to purchase EV's...
Old 12-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,312 Times in 754 Posts

From the Transport Industry perspective...it is not possible to absorb higher overheads...freight rates have been slower moving then wages...and this dates back to the 80's n 90's....virtually the same freight rates...yes yes prices have risen in the past few years but only to cull the extensive collapse of small businesses....when the Internwtionals moved in...Patricks, TOLL and their cohorts...the 'plan' was to kill off all small operators and Monopolise the Industry...firstly Patricks bought the Railways leading to ALL Ports around the nation...then they took over the infrastruture at the ports, meaning they had control of imports and exports...next move, backed by the Govt of the time...was to biuld a better rail network and BAN Heavy Vehicle traffic on the National Highways...this went under the guise of Road Safety, less costs repairing roads, pollution reduction (yep..even back then everything had a 'smoke n mirrors' reasoning)....TOLL cut freight rates and MANY mid to large Freight Companies went to the wall...gone...never to seen again...a perfectly well organised enterprise employing thousands of families and providing REAL customer service.
At the time I was in that business...we held a few small contracts moving Air Freight n Mail.
We were contacted and asked to submit quotes for the movement of freight from Rail Terminals to its destinations. When I asked why ???....surely this is a General Freight niche and our own Railways had their own Transport division delivering from Rail hubs....why ask us ???
Answer was...."Jion us or fold...we WILL have control of ALL Freight movements across the Country within years"
The ONLY thing that stopped this from occurring was the Dockside Unions...they refused to be bullied...end of.
Costs have only increased minimally and the small business owner CANT absorb the overheads....hence...an increase of 6% in diesel costs WILL increase the cost of Freight which is hand in glove with the cost of living....nice one fktards

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 12-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

It certainly will put some fellas off the road as many have contracts with very little lee way and upping costs by a 2% per year for the next 3 years I think it was will put a few off the road replaced by some more poor bugga's who think they can survive on a piss poor rate... fuel up, tyres up, ATO will want a bit more so there goes any cream.... even the big fellas will take a hit for sure..
When similar was muted a few years back my boss was looking at cut backs on the coal face but the government added more compliance instead, which meant a few new unproductive employees hired to shuffle government paper work so the blokes at the coal face took a hit to cover their pay rates..............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-05-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The big picture is the whole thing is a ponzi scheme thats at its end days by design.Insolvent governments and banks are gyrating into a meltdown. Your seeing the first signs of hyperinflation because they won't give up control readily and just keep printing money into worthlessness whilst lying about the true state of things.
It's set in stone, if not diesel they'll pick something else to bullshit about,I'm still waiting for the tide to come in and smash my house to bits with a chunk of Antarctica that broke off.
Post New Thread  Reply