WK2 Brake Lights not working (but third brake light does) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2023
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Question WK2 Brake Lights not working (but third brake light does)

Hello
I have a 2011 WK2 Grand Cherokee with both brake lights (left and right) not working. However the third tail light and all the other lights/indicators work fine. I could not find any related post in the forum so I am posting to see if someone can help. I have tried the following with no luck:
Replaced the old bulbs with new bulbs.
Tested the new and old bulbs on a bench power supply – they all work – so it is not a bulb issue.
Replaced the J9 fuse (e-brake) in the fuse box – the old fuse looked fine and I am not even sure this has anything to do with the brake lights – but I tired anyway. I could not find any data on any other brake fuse location.
I have tested the current to the bulb holder with a multimeter and I could not get any power reading.
I think I have a wiring fault, but I am at a loss as to what to do next. Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks for your help - Barom

Update
I have tried with the headlights on and the left and right brake lights are illuminated with the lights but do not change when the brake pedal is depressed (the third brake light does come on). Any ideas?

Last edited by Barom; 12-05-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Old 13-05-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

Thats a good one, I will see if I find anything in my WSM and code book.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 14-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Wiring colour for the RH and LH brake is White/Tan, the centre stop lamp is White/Violet, this lamp is fed by the looks from the same socket/feed as the stop lamps, possibly LH, the LH reverse light is also a White/Tan line but looks to be a seperate run...................... thats from the wiring diagram so it may not be kosher. .

Since the centre lamp comes on but the LH and RH don't where they meet up would be my first port of call if it has power there then I would work towards the lamp themselves...

Last edited by drover; 14-05-2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old 14-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

If you have a trailer plug installed, is there any current there or if you hook the trailer/ caravan up,do the stop lights work on them?
Old 14-05-2023
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions.
There are no tow lights or tow bar installed, so no joy there.
The brake lights are getting power (they come on when the headlights are on) but will not activate with the brake pedal.
Looking at the US boards, I am thinking it is a problem with the TIPM.
Any other ideas are gratefully recieved.
Old 14-05-2023
MonsterMoose

So we are on the same song sheet, going by the 2011=13 WSM your rear lights are the same as mine, with a globe for the brake light in the body module and the tail light is led which runs as a bead around the red lens on both body and tail gate , the brake light is only on the body set up so if your centre light comes on with brake pedal and he other 2 don't then its either the globe or the feed as the taillights are totally seperate, while it could be a bad earth (each light circuit has a seperate earth) for it to be on both sides in a pretty good coincidence, I would say a break where they all meet up.... pull the body light module and test the terminals at the globe socket while someone has their foot on the brake. I tested mine with key on seat and foot on brake, but some sequences nothing would happen, so maybe fire it up, lights off and put foot on brake just so everything is going, also going by the WSM the Yank Grands brake lights on body will run from the TIPM and centre one from the brake switch but on Export don't, they activate along with the centre one from the brake light switch set up... ............

Hope that helps a bit.........

Old 14-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Just had a check as to what style of globe is fitted, a 3157 Hella wedge globe so I would be having a good look at the pin connectors as they are easy to move and miss the connection, globe and socket ...

Post New Thread  Reply