FFS! Overheating, let's flog it again - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

SIDE NOTE.....(What happenned with the repairer):
btw...the guy I've been taking radiators to my whole life retired and shut down.....I struggled to find ANYONE that would do a repair.....everyone just told me it's not worth it and to buy a new one.

When I called this guy and told him I need a leak repaired on the phone he told me it would cost $130. When I took it down showed him where the leak was, he exclaimed, "oh no, I can't fix that"....because the leak was right where the tube meets the tank.....and what he was saying made sense, he said that if the tube is corroded away on the inside of the tank to cause the leak, he'll having nothing to solder to on the inside....fair enough. He said "I thought you were talking about a leak on the tank"...where else would a leak develop on the tank?

I did have the same radiator repaired a couple years ago when i did my tranny cooler and overtightend the tranny inlet spigot which caused a tiny crack on the weld resulting in a tiny leak....my guy fixed that for $10....not $130.

Anyway, he told me he would remove the tank and take a look and if it was repairable, he would repair it, otherwise would give me a call to give me the bad news. He also said tank removal and repair would involve at least 4hrs labour and cost $250. And that was just to take off one tank, not both. He quoted me $590 on a new Adrad so I went with the repair. He made sure I understood that there was NO warranty on the work for various reasons.

When I picked it up the next day, he told me the fins where fine on the inside and that the repair worked. When I asked him if it was at all blocked he just said "Well, all the tubes were flowing". I also asked him if it was pressure tested and whether the cap was good, and he said he did and that the cap is fine.

When it came time to pay, he said "Just give me $200". I was happy at the time, but thinking about it afterwards, I ask why? Why would you give me a $50 discount if the work you quoted was worth what you quoted? Perhaps he DIDN'T do what he said he did. He didn't strike me the type, but maybe he saw some quick & easy cash for beers & pokies on a deal with no recourse.

EDIT...The workshop WAS authentic...it had benches, braising stations, sink tanks and at least 4 guys actively working on what looked mostly like truck radiators in full view. All in all, I really have no reason to doubt the repair.

Last edited by kario; 04-05-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I define overheating anything from 100* and up, if you're getting overheating this time of year you have an issue.
Have you tried a good chemical flush (or two) and then back flushed the block, raditaor and heater core?

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 04-05-2015
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've tried the chemical flush, flush, flush. Left one of them in for 3 days of driving too. My radiator filler neck looks brand new inside!

What's involved in a backflush?
Old 04-05-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 95 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
I define overheating anything from 100* and up, if you're getting overheating this time of year you have an issue.
Have you tried a good chemical flush (or two) and then back flushed the block, raditaor and heater core?
Can you recommend a good brand chemical flush?
And how would you back flush the block, radiator and heater core?

"I'm not fixing it, I'm improving it."
Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport 10/1997 update

Jeep Cherokee XJ 10/1997
Old 04-05-2015
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I use Loctite brand flush, seems to work ok for me.

For the black flush of the heater core I disconnect the heater hoses at trhe front and just use the garden hose to flush it both ways, amazing how much sludge comes out.
I do the same for the block by clamping the the hose fitting inside the radiator hose and flush it till clean both ways, again after the chemical flush, I then do the same with the radiator.
Each item I do seperately....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 04-05-2015
Established Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard buttocks View Post
the problem is its an xj :hammer :

a blockage in the block/head is unlikely, but easy to check
remove the tstat and bottom hose
jam your garden hose in the bottom hose and see if the water pours out as expected.
I have already done this when I chemical flushed it.....it does flow up to the top. I'm thinking more along the lines of a partial blockage rather than a complete one.
Old 04-05-2015
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kario View Post
. HD radiators (heavier duty than my adrad) come in at $1Kish....out of the question at.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-FULL-...-/331267666263
Post New Thread  Reply