Clunk/pop from rear end - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-07-2020

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Unhappy Clunk/pop from rear end

Hi there

I just bought a 2013 MY14 Grand Cherokee and I'm noticing a clunking/popping noise coming from the rear end.
It happens when going up and down the driveway kerb.
I also hear a "rumbling/rattling" kind of noise while driving on uneven roads.
It sounds like lower ball joints or shockies maybe?
The car has a tow bar and caravan brake controller fitted so I suspect it has been used to tow.
The car was bought from a dealer so has 3 months warranty but I was wondering if anyone knows what this might be?
TIA
Old 24-07-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 825 Times in 463 Posts

Rear shock knocks are a problem on the WK2s.100000 ks most shocks starting to get less effective .For a start Check shocks are not leaking ,however usually the knock is coming from the upper shock mount.The shocks are available from Rock Auto in US for half the price of here.usually 7 - 10 days door to door.May be a lot longer currently.Order new upper mounts if getting new shocks.Quadra lift and std spring suspension use the same rear shocks.Bilsteins are a good .A good mechanic should be able tp replace both shocks and shock mounts in around 1.5 hr max.replacement.How many ks ? Only way. Ball joints,bushings can be checked is jacked up and weight off them.Not the tow ball ext loose in the tow bar?
Lots of info if you Google rear shock noise etc .removal etc
Old 24-07-2020

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It has 75,000kms.
It is booked in with the dealer in Wednesday and should hopefully be covered under the statutory warranty.
The shocks don't look to be leaking or showing any signs of damage.

I also noticed today I sometimes get a knock or clunk when taking off from stand still. Kind of feels like tail shaft slop but I can't feel any play in the shaft by hand. Could this be related to my issue or something else?
It doesn't seem to do it in sports mode but I haven't tested enough to know for sure.

The tow hitch is not in at the moment so can't be that.

Last edited by Russc0123; 24-07-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 24-07-2020
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

I get this knock sort of thing sometimes on mine too, not audibly but can sort of feel it, it's like it's winding up a bit if I take off slow, if I punch it, no noise.
Is yours air suspension or standard.
Have you poked around under the rear? The resonators could be loose on their mounts and making a noise as you pop up the driveway
Old 24-07-2020
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

The knock/thud that occurs when accelerating from stop may be the transfer case if it's got the QTII or QDII. Replacing the oil with ATF +4 fixed mine. It's an easy DIY, and lots of info out there on what to do.

PS I recognize you indicate it only happens when in your driveway, so that may rule this out. But sometimes things occur all the time and we only notice it in our driveway because we are able to focus in our driveways.
Old 25-07-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 825 Times in 463 Posts

I presume you have Quadralift suspension,due to mentioning sport mode.Again I say that knocking noises from the rear have been a major source of complaint even on later models.There is a TSB re the modification to shock mounts to try and stop the knock.Shock absorber failure at low klms also pretty common.Due to the fact that the noise happens going over a kerb seems to indicate rear shocks.If std spring suspension maybe worn spring mounts etc.Other areas for knocking etc may be the front rear electronic lsds.Check to see all fluid and oil changes done eg 8 speed auto if towing around 60000klms ,front rear diffs at around 40000klms. With correct oil.Take bung off rear diff cover check oil color etc. can also Google TSBs techncal service bulletin for your model to see if any other noises match your problem .If you bought it from Jeep dealer you may have some luck re fixing the problem otherwise you may have to take it to a good Jeep mechanic.Wear are you situated?
Old 25-07-2020

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks guys. I am in Perth.
My car has standard suspension, not air suspension.

I think you're right about the suspension being the issue causing the pop/clunk when going up and down kerbs. I can also here it "rattling" when driving on uneven roads.
I will get the dealer to check the suspension first.

As for the clunk when taking off (only happens sometimes and never in sports mode), I will get the oils changed to rule that out.
I also read that Jeep put out a software update which was meant to "soften" the gear changes. How can I tell which software version my car has? and where do I go to get it updated? (Jeep dealer only?)
Post New Thread  Reply