Isofix? did anyone see today tonight? or know anything about it? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Isofix? did anyone see today tonight? or know anything about it?

i have been brought up all my life being told aus standards are one of if not the best in the world!
Givven most of our general standards are but as I have discovered, and keep discovering we are fairly average really.
compared to parts of europe we are way behind....
& now to top it off i am being told that my child restraints are useless and potentially life threatening.
so my question is
do others think this system should be brought into australia?
and how can we go about it?

your thoughts and ideas are apreciated!!

http://http://au.todaytonight.yahoo....ild-restraints

Quote:
Do you very much do wheel 4 driving?
Old 05-03-2010
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

Your links got an extra http:// in it here's a working one.

http//au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/6889052/general/child-restraints

For the last couple of years children in the UK must be at least twelve years of age or a minimum of 135cm in height before they can use an adult seat belt without a booster seat. Although there are exceptions to this. They are in a taxi, where two child seats/boosters are already being used in the rear and they are too wide to prevent one being fitted for a third child, and where a short unexpected journey is being made - like a parent being unavailable for some reason and a friend being asked to collect children instead.

Your child restraints may be perfectly safe, even without the ISOFIX system. It depends on whether you are able to fit them properly according to the manufacturers instructions. The ISOFIX system was introduced to simplify the process because there are many people who are not able to adequately secure child seats using other methods.

Even child seats that use the ISOFIX system could be potentially life threatening. It would depend on how much the child can move about within the seat during an accident and how much padding the seat has in the areas it would need it.

You'd think where people's own flesh and blood they would take the time and make the effort to ensure child restraints are fitted properly and securely, but perhaps that's asking too much of some people?

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 05-03-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today tonight as a source of factual unbiased information, i think not so cant be bothered even clicking the link.
Old 05-03-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonkey30 View Post
i have been brought up all my life being told aus standards are one of if not the best in the world!
Givven most of our general standards are but as I have discovered, and keep discovering we are fairly average really.
compared to parts of europe we are way behind....
We USED to have high standards ... now we just rely on adopting U.N. nannystate regulations ... and U.S. standards ... And findings, tests and information from european tests .... As the references to them in ADRs plainly show.

Quote:
& now to top it off i am being told that my child restraints are useless and potentially life threatening.

Theres more fact and realism in a Tom & Jerry cartoon than aust. commercial TV channel, ratings chasing, current affairs programs.

Quote:
so my question is
do others think this system should be brought into australia?
and how can we go about it?

your thoughts and ideas are apreciated!!
Depends .......

Maybe some clever bugger over here, is still working out whether the ... additional load during an impact ... on the seat mounting bolts is acceptable ... Compared to using the separate seatbelt mounting bolts or the separate child seating mounting points ? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
The ISOFIX system was introduced to simplify the process because there are many people who are not able to adequately secure child seats using other methods.

Even child seats that use the ISOFIX system could be potentially life threatening. It would depend on how much the child can move about within the seat during an accident and how much padding the seat has in the areas it would need it.

You'd think where people's own flesh and blood they would take the time and make the effort to ensure child restraints are fitted properly and securely, but perhaps that's asking too much of some people?
And thats the real issue eh JJ .... any parent with half a brain should be able to look at their kid when strapped in ... and see whether the sash fits across their chest ... or their windpipe.

Old 05-03-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

90% of the "so called stories" on all these Australian Current Affairs shows are actually product advertising. They show a story on "Life Threatening Failures" and then it turns around to some NEW product just released on the market or New in Australia and have an interview with the company selling That product.

I'm not taking away the very real dangers of incorrectly fitted or adjusted seat belts for children at all, but, beware most of the stories are advertisements timed specifically at a product form a supplier as they release that product onto the Australian market.

For instance... Is MCDooonalds and Weighty Watchers persons joining forces with a NEW Menu Option REALLY NEWS in Australia... So Ground Breaking that we have to see it on not only the NEWS itself, but then a followup story in the Current Affairs show afterwards..

Dont act solely on info prvided by the show, do as you are doing and ask the Questions. Your State should have plenty on Approved child restraints listed on their website.. eg http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ld_restraints/

and good info

http://www.kidsafe.com.au/

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 18-04-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation ISOFIX Why are we waiting?

ISOFIX / Latch - Amazing isn’t it over 20 years ago Australia and a number of other countries started working on a better car seat. When they finished it was approved in Europe and USA with Renault starting making complying cars as early as the year 2000.
These ISOFIX seats are simple to use and have a click and an indicator to show correct fitting.
Part of the quick introduction in the UK was due to an Australian expert who advised the UK regulators of his research into the alarming number of incorrectly fitted car seats. ISOFIX seats have very little movement and never come loose, they are every bit as good as a "correctly fitted" Australian seat - if that’s even a possibility.
Worldwide adoption will not only make car travel safer it may also make Air travel safer as this design would be a great improvement for in flight safety. Australian aviation authorities are waiting to test – just as soon as the various ADR, Road rules etc departments do the obvious. Not to mention stop the hassle of renting poor quality ill fitting car seats at your destination.
RICARO have been working on getting the seats approved in Australia. I haven’t seen much effort from any other manufactures. My next seat for me or my child will most likely be a RICARO.

Seems Australian children don’t deserve the option of having the best.

Last edited by Rollond; 18-04-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 18-04-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,892 Times in 2,304 Posts

With states and feds all having their heads up their arses, I doubt if they would ever get to agree on the legislation needed. Just look at the "National driving Regulations", what a joke.
Not enough votes.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply