JK Roof Rack setup - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-01-2018
I just registered

Liked 53 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Rhino Backbone for me also. I throw on a Roof bag + tent with foxwing awning on the side.

Last edited by V82xist; 14-01-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 13-01-2018
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'm waiting for delivery of the Uneek rack for my JKU that I ordered in November. Yes it's exxy but it's the lightest and strongest rack that I can still use the soft and hard tops with.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Old 15-01-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

AEV. It’s been awesome. No load carrying issues at all as it’s brackets are attached directly to the roll bar. Above the hardtop it’s essentially a rhino pioneer system, so all the rhino hardware fits. The only downside is the hardtop has to stay on. I want to go convertible again now so it’s for sale if any interested (SYD northern beaches)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts

Thanks so much for the responses guys, it's really helpful.

There's plenty of people favouring the Rhino Backbone system. At the moment mine is very similar to @Nanook setup.

I am leaning more towards the AEV system purely because I want to eventually get a rooftop tent and this will support it easily.

My only concern is the height. I'm already at 195 cm's with a 3.5" lift on 33's. My underground car park at my unit is silly low, I just about fit and with the extra height I won't get underneath. Nor will I get in most Sydney public car parks!

Oh the woe's
Old 15-01-2018
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuieG View Post
Thanks so much for the responses guys, it's really helpful.

There's plenty of people favouring the Rhino Backbone system. At the moment mine is very similar to @Nanook setup.

I am leaning more towards the AEV system purely because I want to eventually get a rooftop tent and this will support it easily.

My only concern is the height. I'm already at 195 cm's with a 3.5" lift on 33's. My underground car park at my unit is silly low, I just about fit and with the extra height I won't get underneath. Nor will I get in most Sydney public car parks!

Oh the woe's
Are you planing on moving?

Rooftop tents are not conducive to underground parking arrangements, they are heavy, cumbersome and a pain to shift and fit unless you have a garage you can rig a cradle for or half a rugby team at your disposal.

The last thing I would want to be doing for a weekend away is trying to arrange help to get a rooftop tent on and then getting it off when you get back from a camping trip... nope

If your not going to be able to use it for short trips is it really worth it? I guess if you do a lot of extended touring it could work.

Not trying to put you off the AEV rack it looks awesome but man that and the rooftop tent is a lot of expence and I would be wanting to get my money's worth of use out of it.

Last edited by OzRick25; 15-01-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 15-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRick25 View Post
Are you planing on moving?

Rooftop tents are not conducive to underground parking arrangements, they are heavy, cumbersome and a pain to shift and fit unless you have a garage you can rig a cradle for or half a rugby team at your disposal.

The last thing I would want to be doing for a weekend away is trying to arrange help to get a rooftop tent on and then getting it off when you get back from a camping trip... nope

If your not going to be able to use it for short trips is it really worth it? I guess if you do a lot of extended touring it could work.

Not trying to put you off the AEV rack it looks awesome but man that and the rooftop tent is a lot of expence and I would be wanting to get my money's worth of use out of it.
Hey Rick,

I completely understand your train of thought on this.

The Mrs and I are thinking about a Oz wide tour, potentially next year sometime. Whilst it is a while away, I feel it's a bit unnecessary to buy racks for now and then racks for then. Kind of like to buy stuff once and know I bought right the first time. The rack is potentially a bit overkill for the most part, but I believe it'll be more useful than the other options.

Your opinion is much appreciated though and we'll take it into account.

Cheers
Old 15-01-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuieG View Post

Oh the woe's
This is why I went with the basic setup I have. Originally I was going for the Uneek rack but would have to modify my garage entrance as I just fit in as it is. Mine's so tight, I can't secure my maxtrax with ratchet straps as that little bit of height stops me. I use flat luggage straps instead

I looked at roof top tents but I liked my vehicle garaged at night and you have to pack up every time you want to go for a drive so I opted for a camper trailer. I'm guessing that's no good to you in a unit though.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Post New Thread  Reply