Cherokee/Grand Cherokee - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > MARKET PLACE > Wanted
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Cherokee/Grand Cherokee

To Suit: Daily driver and tow rig
Hey all. Looking for a good condition Cherokee or Grand Cherokee in Victoria. I want it as a daily and to tow my TJ so I don't mind if it is modified a bit but don't want anything wild. Must be under 150,000km and cannot be a V8 unfortunately. I have a budget of around $10,000 but happy to be a bit higher or lower depending on what your offering.
Also if anyones interested I can swap my Mazda RX8.
Let me know what you have.
Cheers.
Old 12-11-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

I'd be checking the tow capacity as an XJ & ZJ don't have a great tow rating 2200kg I think).
Remember an average car trailer weighs' in at between 600-800kg.

At best the load would be no heavier than 1200 - 1400kg. A TJ would weigh in heavier than that I would image even before Mods
Old 12-11-2014
Full Flexer

Yeah the capacity is about that. My tj wouldn't weigh more than stock and they are around 1400kg stock I think. Plan to build a pretty lightweight simple trailer too so it shouldn't be too bad. Any other suggestions? Need something pretty cheap to buy and run, reliable and some off road capability but nothing special
Old 12-11-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motas View Post
Yeah the capacity is about that. My tj wouldn't weigh more than stock and they are around 1400kg stock I think. Plan to build a pretty lightweight simple trailer too so it shouldn't be too bad. Any other suggestions? Need something pretty cheap to buy and run, reliable and some off road capability but nothing special
Doesn't the WJ GC have a 3.5T tow rating? $10k might be cutting it close though.

Landrover disco TD5 is probably cheapest (to buy) with high tow rating and some off road ability. But not particularly reliable and cheap to run.

Holden jackaroo are good value for what they are as they tend to be overlooked, and 2.5T tow rating. I think pre '99 have a low max ball weight though (like 120kg.).
Old 12-11-2014
Full Flexer

I thought the zj was rated to 3.5t as well. Either way 2200kg will be enough. By off road capability I mean more clearance than a road car and the choice of 4wd. I just want to go camping in it and drive around the race track which chev silverados make it around
Old 12-11-2014
RubiconSlammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
Doesn't the WJ GC have a 3.5T tow rating? $10k might be cutting it close though.
V8 is 3250kg not sure about the Diesel.
Old 12-11-2014
RubiconSlammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motas View Post
I thought the zj was rated to 3.5t as well. Either way 2200kg will be enough. By off road capability I mean more clearance than a road car and the choice of 4wd. I just want to go camping in it and drive around the race track which chev silverados make it around
Nope!!!! that why I had a WJ as well.