My WG 4.7 PowerTech engine rebuild, swap, mod, or not? thread - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-08-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Smile My WG 4.7 PowerTech engine rebuild, swap, mod, or not? thread

*** 04/07/2019 Edit and update to this thread - it's a long read for anyone who has landed here for the first time. Lots of chat. I have started a new build thread here on what I am actually doing -> http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=155966

End edit

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************

Long story short...

4.7 in Dexter the GC has cracked the radiator tank, overheated, nipped up, cooled down. Now runs but real rough, spewing out steam from exhaust, misfiring like a mofo, error codes 5 and 7 misfiring.

I've done my fair share of engine work and it needs head work as a minimum.

Bores possibly scored yadda yadda yadda

Only 133,000km, driven to Sunday church 2004 WG dead behind me, stranded on the highway in Horsham

I've got farrrrr too much time and mods invested in this thing to scrap it, and it's not a balance sheet issue if it's worth it or not. I keep my toys until they're dead, never on sell. I'm stoked with this thing, not interested in the next model at all. So no, it's this one.

I'll do all the work myself, it's not a DD at any rate, I'll only source out the machining aspects when needed. I has all the gear for it in my home workshop already.

I'll start disassembly on the weekend. Remove the auto and motor etc, then start the tear down.

The questions need to be asked, it's where you can add input:

Just rebuild this set up, stock. Zero mods?
Rebuild this motor, stronger with mods?
Supercharge?
Total engine swap? (But it has to be an auto tranny 100%)
Jeep diesel engine swap?
Other than Jeep diesel engine swap?
GM LS swap?

Main criteria is it has to at least have the balls of the original 4.7 PowerTech in it.
And it has to be an auto.

Bottom end mains, rods still seem good. But I'll be assessing thoroughly for sure.

What say ye?

I'm leaning towards an LS swap at this very early stage, but nowhere near decided.
Possibly rebuild this stronger with Supercharger? Hmmm They're the top two at this stage.

Last edited by Hoobz; 04-07-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Started new thread for the actual build.
Old 28-08-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The 2.7CRD has some serious poke, especially if you tweak the management systems. Why not pick up a 2.7 body-wreck and transplant radiator to discs into Dexter? Then play with turbo/intercooler upgrade and a chip upgrade.
Old 28-08-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Barra
Old 28-08-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
The 2.7CRD has some serious poke, especially if you tweak the management systems. Why not pick up a 2.7 body-wreck and transplant radiator to discs into Dexter? Then play with turbo/intercooler upgrade and a chip upgrade.
I have given thought to buying a second WJ/G with that diesel for touring in.

I've totally rebuilt the diesel motor in my Vito, the only original components being the block and crank. The 2.7 is the exact same motor as the Vito, with an additional cylinder. So I am familiar with that platform.

It's definitely a possibility. Because of the age of those diesels now I'd fit a new head and injectors at a minimum before it went in.

Jean, do you know anyone with 2.7 experience, who knows about that ECU TCM architecture, programming and tuning?

Last edited by Hoobz; 28-08-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 28-08-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darn29 View Post
Barra
I nearly went back into my opening post to edit in a Ford motor as a possibility.

It's on the ideas list
Old 28-08-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Hemi 5.7?????

Sent from under my Grand Cherokee
Old 28-08-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)