REVIEW: WJ Rough Country 4" lift from Morris4x4.com - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > REVIEWS & NEW PRODUCTS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-04-2010
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default REVIEW: WJ Rough Country 4" lift from Morris4x4.com

Well my new 4" Rough Country lift turned up in Australia. Grabbed the 4" Extreme kit from Morris4x4.com in the USA. Dealing with the owner of the shop, Eric was a breeze via email. Even following up with tracking of the items was great getting onto their website and being able to talk to someone live providing I got the time differance right.

Its a pretty complete kit. Everything you need including coils, shocks, adjustable front lowers, swaybar disconnects, bumpstop extension, rear shock relocation brackets, A-frame spacer, tranny spacers and various other bits. Also got included in the purchase a new steering stabaliser.

All up working on my own had it all installed in about 9 hours. Looking at my hands now, I have busted two knuckles and have various cuts but alas its all in.

The front was as I would expect from a 4" lift. Starting off with removing the lower control arms and fitting the new ones, remove and replace shocks then onto the coils. With the new 4" coils, I was able to get one side in ok, but the other side ended up having to use spring compressors.

The disconnects are a two piece unit. The 90 deg knuckle on the top threads onto the actual link. I think the thread was a bit sketchy as they didnt wind on very well but will a little encouragement they went on. Also included is a bracket to allow you to hook the swaybar up and out of the way when wheeling.

The kit came with an adjustable track bar, but its for the US left hand drive. I have just kept the OEM track bar in for the moment until I can remanufacture the adjustable one. Its only out by approx 10mm so not a big issue. The front coil rates seem to be really nice, I like a soft coil and these are that.

Moving onto the rear, well it was a bit of a headache. Removing the A-frame from the diff is hard, especially when I didnt have a 21mm ring spanner and only a adjustable shifter. I ended up getting out from under the Jeep and heading to Supercheap to buy a ring as its pretty tight under there with the handbrake cable and the brake lines to hinder movement. Once out was then easy to install the spacer with crush tubes. Only thing to note is the replacement bolts are 22mm, should have got a 2nd spanner also.

The shocks comt with a spacer crush tube for the top, and a U shaped bracket for the bottom which allows the shocks to move inboard more to give you room for wider rubber. Getting the rears coils in even with the extended bump stops wasnt much of a headache, just needed pressure on the disk brake to push the diff right down and in they went.

I have not installed the tranny drop spacers yet, as I have taken it for a drive on the road and theres no vibes at this stage so may leave them out, wait and see.

Still trying to decide if I am going to go 265/75 16 or 285/75 16 Mickey MTZ's. By all measurements the 285 is a 32.8" and the 265 is a 31.6

Not much differance really, but even with the stock 245/70 16's on there looks like it might be tight when flexed. Will probably end up with the larger ones providing the width is ok and they dont stick out from the guards.

Once I get the rubber on will get out on some tracks and get some flex shots also and let ya all know how it rides.

Thanks again to Eric from Morris4x4.com for all your help mate!

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 22-04-2010
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Looks pretty groovy Jimmy, very involved by the looks but looks great.

Once you've got the poops with that let me know and we'll install one of my Clayton's 6" LA Kits in

Im seriously thinking of buying my Brothers' 01 Laredo V8 and putting in one of the Kits I have here.....Ive also got a few sets of new Yukon 4.56's ratios for WG's...
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 08-05-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

The offset rear shock bracket is a nice inclusion , although I suspect mine caused the early demise of my shocks, its puts a lot of side-ways strain on the shock seal when flexing.
Old 09-05-2010
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Not overly happy with the shock length. IMHO they could have been prob 3-4" longer. They seem to be the limiting factor for flex. They are a great length for a 2" lift but to get more droop need longer. Might be something to look into down the track.

Also the inclusion of front adjustable uppers might have also been a good inclusion.

The only other complaint is that the supplied lowers are a little noisy, some clunking going on down there.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 10-11-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How much was the shipping from Morris4x4.com? Because I have been looking at a similar kit for my TJ and I was just a bit put off because they don't display how much th shipping costs are
Old 08-10-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ

I've bought from Morris' before quite a few times and they always give you a price for shipping .......they email you pretty fast (within 12 -18 hours) from a real live person who you can then email back or phone and discuss anything, more personal than Rockauto.
Old 05-11-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Would it be legal to do that lift in Western Australia I was told not that's why I did the 2in lift wish I'd did more checking with the cops. It looks good at 4 in nice jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply