Noisey Diesel XJ VIDEO - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-07-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default Noisey Diesel XJ VIDEO

Hi All,

I have a loud rumbling noise coming from my XJ when i get up to speed, i've made a little video of it here, any one any ideas what it might be?

NOTE: there is quite a bit of wind noise on the video, so best to put headphones on and put the volume up to max so you can hear the rumbling noise.

https://youtu.be/38CrZb1kF-8

Last edited by BillyOneMate; 31-07-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 31-07-2016
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Bit hard to tell much from video.
What else can you tell us?
Same hot & cold?
Any loss of power?
At first I thought a hole in the muffler, but dont think so.
Can you get the noise when stationary & you rev it?
Its a very muffled noise on the video, that makes it sound like induction/exhaust but cant tell.
Is there any metallic knock?
If I have my window down I get a bit of a growl from the end of the snorkel when I have my foot down.

Its a very nice looking low KM jeep ! What year?
Old 31-07-2016
Established Member

Apologies for the wind noise on the video, if you put put headphones on and watch it you will be able to hear the wheering/rumbling noise in the background a lot better.

The noise is not there at low speeds, its a bit like tyres noise, bu its not. On an off the throttle doesn't make much of a difference, nor turning side to side.
I took it to my local mechanic and he diagnosed it as the front diff pinion bearing, so i had the diff rebuilt, but it didn't cure it.
Then i thought it might be a rear wheel bearing, as the seal had gone on one so it needed doing anyway, so i replaced both of those, but still its there.
Then i though maybe it was a flat spot on the tyres, so i replaced all 4 of those and its still there, so its driving me a bit nuts!
I've had the Xj for 4 years, and the noise has always been there, it's not really getting worse, but it not getting better either.

My thoughts at the moment are it could be.
1. Front wheel bearing.
2. Front springs not controlling rebound properly, they've been on since new (1999)
3. An issue with one of the injectors

But i am guessing really!! Which is why i posted the video to see if anyone has had anything similar ... It possible all XJ's are like this, but i don't remember it on my last one, and two local mechanics think its an issue (although they both don't see many Jeeps)

To answer your questions Layback40
1. Same hot & cold?
Yes.
2. Any loss of power?
No.
3. Can you get the noise when stationary & you rev it?
No, its only really on the highway.
4. Is there any metallic knock?
Not really a metallic sound to my ears.

Last edited by BillyOneMate; 31-07-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 31-07-2016
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOneMate View Post

My thoughts at the moment are it could be.
1. Front wheel bearing.
2. Front springs not controlling rebound properly, they've been on since new (1999)
3. An issue with one of the injectors

To answer your questions Layback40
1. Same hot & cold?
Yes.
2. Any loss of power?
No.
3. Can you get the noise when stationary & you rev it?
No, its only really on the highway.
4. Is there any metallic knock?
Not really a metallic sound to my ears.
Symptoms dont sound like injectors. If it was, you would feel a loss of power & maybe black smoke. You could also get a slight bit of the noise when you rev it.
Wouldnt hurt to do an EGR disable.
Cant see how springs would cause it.
Sound like its speed related & not power related ~ does it do it in 4th as well as 5th & does taking your foot off or on make it louder? If same in 4th & 5th & power on or off makes little difference, it could be a wheel bearing. Wheel bearings normally make noise at a particular speed & then goes away at higher speeds, anything is possible though.
Have you checked for play in the front wheel bearings ~ jack wheel up & feel for movement?
If it does it both in 4th & 5th at the same speed, its beyond the gearbox. If it does it in 4th & 5th at the same revs & so not the same speed, it may be engine related.
I would also be changing the gearbox & transfer case oil if it hasnt been changed.
Old 31-07-2016
Established Member

I have changed the gearbox and transfer oil and that has made no difference to the noise ... although the box is a lot smoother

Here is a video of the engine at roughly 2200 rpm, which is where it makes the noise, it sounds ok to me - but i am no expert
https://youtu.be/hWt1iMTIdkE

I will give the 4th and 5th a go next time and out and report back ... thanks for the input
Old 01-08-2016
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Just a thought, have you checked your engine mounts?
The most likely bad one is the one on the RHS.
Old 01-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Is the noise definately coming from the front?. Could it be coming from the rear? How's the rear diff oil? Could be a diff bearing. I'd check the rear diff oil and change it if it looks discoloured at all and recheck it after a few k's. You'll soon know if something in there is worn/wearing.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Post New Thread  Reply