Police Blitz Brisbane - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-08-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts
Default Police Blitz Brisbane

Gents beware that there is currently a police blitz in Brisbane and surrounding suburbs on over sized tyres and bull-bars for the highway patrol teams.

Specifically looking for anything that might have oversized tyres (they are measuring them not just relying on the tyre stamp), anything 1mm larger than 50mm over what's is allowed on your sticker is a fine, can see any part of the tyre past the guard another fine, look too aggressive on the tread pattern another fine. They are also chasing people with aftermarket bull-bars that are not compliant (ie. have to have a airbag compliance sticker on them, although it seems they won't check if you have a ARB sticker on the front).

While they are there they also are doing lights check (looking for HID & LED light kits), engine modifications without compliance/mod plate (had to argue that a aluminium radiator replacement is not a modification of the engine, "oh it's shiny that's got to be a fine"), number plate obstructions (apparently a winch fairlead is enough of an obstruction despite it may only be obstructing the coloured line across top of plate), full check under the car (sway bars present and connected etc) and a working horn that is not too loud, in other words any other revenue they can get while they have you. You also have to argue that you are driving a yank car so the compliance stickers are all on the left side, they seem to think they must be on the drivers side on only let it go because the owners manual showed it being there.

It is also worth noting that a oversized tyre is now considered an offence as part of the hoon laws, which means if you get caught again drying a "modified vehicle not in compliance" in the next 5 years no matter who's car it is you are driving then the car gets impounded for 7 days, 3rd time its 90days....what the hell, who is going to know or check to see if someone else's car is compliant before driving it.

I now fully understand why they call QLD the nanny state, guess the fun police have ensured I go back to driving a girls car.....

Last edited by Redemptioner; 17-08-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 17-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They're also hunting motorcycles that have "illegal" mods done ie: slip on pipes, loud exhaust, hid/led headlights, tail tidies, moving rego plate angle. turbo's and such.
Was pulled over twice during ekka week on my old cbr100f because of the slip-on Yoshi pipe and them claiming it was "above noise DB's"
Old 17-08-2015
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Got pulled over today and have 255/70/18 placard , running 35" the officer said I was only a small bit out and ok . They are looking for 37"
lol, only 25mm over size, but I could live with 34-34.5" and still being inside the "sticker"....... I see the rubicon's were 245/75/16 for the TJ.

where do I get a 255/70/18 sticker from and is yours in the glovebox?

was it old mate in the black and blue highway car?
Old 17-08-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 67 Times in 40 Posts

Tyre placard inside drivers door on jk
They were at Caboolturein a blue hwy car but had guys up the road stopping everyone. Would have hated being the pootrol behind me with the 6" lift I wouls reckon

2013 commando green JKU
Formally Commando Thunder
" Live everyday like its your last "
Old 17-08-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

My placard says 245/75 17 on a 2014 Rubicon, guess I'd better cross my fingers or start looking for some legal tyres for when I get done.
Old 17-08-2015
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

Whats a swaybar?
Old 17-08-2015
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Tyre placard inside drivers door on jk
They were at Caboolturein a blue hwy car but had guys up the road stopping everyone. Would have hated being the pootrol behind me with the 6" lift I wouls reckon
They did not seem to care about suspension or steering, but they did give me a fine for each number plate which I think is a bit unreasonable, rear ok it should be up on the tire carrier instead of down on the right rear of the bar (still just nit picking though, clearly visible from behind and above just not off to the far left from above due to tyre on the back, clearly going to be picked up by any speed cameras or toll cameras) front was ridiculous though as it clearly was only the top coloured edge that was "obscured" from directly above which the po-po agreed it did not obscure the numbers but wrote out a 2nd ticket any ways (one ticket and told to fix both would of been reasonable). One for the rear sway bar being disconnected on one side (from me twisting it ), one for the tyres (which is a "major defect").

So, $750 for number plates, another $350 for tyres (surprised it's not per tyre) and another $120 for swaybar....... $1200 thanks for coming oh and because tyres are considered a major defect now you can't drive it home (less than 1.5km away), fortunately I have mates who drive tow trucks so no issue there other than the bother of waiting.