ESP Disable - Take two - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-03-2009
JEEPOHOLIC

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After you restart the vehcile the ECU restarts also clears all codes etc if the problem is fixed but I do have hypertec programmer which clears DTC codes or you can check them by turn key procedure.

I did tried the permamnently disable ESP program done by dealer it does permanently disable the ESP but NOT the brake assist system which could be pain in the butt.

But I am happy with the mod thanks again for finding for us.

Happy Jeeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNuts View Post
You're all welcome

Just make sure you clear all the errors this throws up to the ECU (before going to the dealer for any warrant work ).

Great tool for this is the one that Wooders sells for $225. As expected this will tell the ECU that the Dynamics Sensor has failed as it's not responding (but we know that's not the case).
Old 18-03-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sp on the beach it appears the traction control or the BAS is the problem? I'm thinking the traction control as it prevents wheelspin? I'm about to got to Rainbow Beach this weekend for it's first sand trip and haven't done this mod because I want to see how much of a problem it is first
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Old 18-03-2009
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisNut View Post
Sp on the beach it appears the traction control or the BAS is the problem? I'm thinking the traction control as it prevents wheelspin? I'm about to got to Rainbow Beach this weekend for it's first sand trip and haven't done this mod because I want to see how much of a problem it is first
While you're trying out various combinations of ESP on the beach, make sure you do the manual-recommended method of holding the ESP button down for 10 seconds while the vehicle is stopped. I've done this and - yes - while it doesn't completely disable anything I found that it got rid of enough to make the car more than capable in the sand.

Sure, it resets every time you restart the car and yes it enables itself again above 40 km/h (or whatever) but it will give you the ability to spin the wheels when the vehicle is stopped should you need to do that.

I'm not saying the mod isn't a good thing - I think it has its place and I'm considering it myself but if you don't want to (or can't for whatever reasons - time, warranty, etc.) do it then the inbuilt options are worth a try.

B.
Old 18-03-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep I will try all the factory stuff and if a problem is ovious will even try the lockers, if I can't get sand flying with the diff locks engaged will be interesting to see. Though I can see for those little bursts in 2WD ESP disable might be handy, (talking loose sand on the beach not the tracks or cuttings).
Old 21-03-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, got back from the beach today and had a bit of play with the stock ESP disable system.
We noticed in RWD the traction control would restrict throttle but yet let the back dig it self down, both wheels spinning equally. I tried to do some RWD donuts, failure, traction control prevented me from getting any revs up enough to do a half decent donut, I was just driving in circles.
I then tried 4WD high and had similar results, so I held the ESP button on till it chimed then the ESPOFF came up on the instrument cluster. Then I found I could get wheelspin and do a4wd donut, revs did climb but not exactly quickly.
But other than that using 4WD and some 2WD on the soft sand I still found the Jeep capable, just missed not being able to do got RWD donuts and sand fountains or plug up the beach in soft sand in RWD as I have been able to do with previous vehicles lacking front drive.
So I don't personally find this mod necessary yet but would really have liked a manual option from the factory to turn off traction control in 2WD. But am interested to know if they found similsr problems and found this modfixed these situations.
I also tried with the rear diff lock, and it doesn't engage in 2WD, but in 4WD made no difference other than making the turning circle larger.

Last edited by BrisNut; 22-03-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 21-03-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I'm new to this love your work so far.
Old 09-04-2009
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After spending a week on Fraser Island with the mod done to my JK, I'm more than impressed with it. Before I did the mod, I found the motor was lacking power on soft sand, downright gutless springs to mind. After mod, lookout!! as in previous posts, the authors expressed a belief in horsepower increase, well I can say I definately agree with them on that point! I can appreciate the benefits of BAS/ ABS yada, yada for onroad conditions, but when your struggling through soft,dry sand and the damn computer is hindering your progress because it senses a spinning wheel and backs off the power AAAGGHH.
I only plan to flick the switch when it's deemed necessary offroad, atleast now, I have the option of choice.
Thanks to Crazy Nuts for posting this valuable mod.......10/10 mate
Rod
Post New Thread  Reply