Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 15 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-07-2010
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

SeaComms, you've missed the point the document discusses suspension travel not static height. By your interpretation of what you've read, you've put in a static lift in your Jeep that is 40mm over what jktom was advised. So are you now going to make your wife happy and take the lift out because by your statement it is illegal? I know someone who would take it off of your hands.

jjktom, I didn't say that you were wrong but who told you what they told you was incorrect. And yes it is ironic that the OEM can do something that after market cannot.
Old 14-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Lift

Hi Jasper
QT told me after I questioned them about "bump or rebound" or "bump and rebound". There were several emails (which I have somewhere) as I was watching a similar debate on this forum. The engineer i was emailing as i questioned his answer even went and sought advice from another more senior engineer, and he confirmed it was bump or rebound measured at rest.
On the other hand QT also consider it legal if Jeep provides it as an option. Secomms achieved 63mm lift from his MOPAR coils, therefore we could argue that it is legal to lift a Jeep 63mm? I am working with this rule. I wish MOPAR would release a high steer kit?
PS. I try and stay within the law (or at least close) as I have had an insurance claim denied previously when I my Jackaroo was written off in the Cape because of midifications being lift, 32" tyres and wider wheel track.
Old 14-07-2010
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

You could also argue that you can use the mopar lift to base you lift calculations on due to the mopar lift being a standard option as is the case with wheels & tyres, so legally we should be able to lift the JK to 100mm from standard factory spec?

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Old 14-07-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
You could also argue that you can use the mopar lift to base you lift calculations on due to the mopar lift being a standard option as is the case with wheels & tyres, so legally we should be able to lift the JK to 100mm from standard factory spec?
Yep - thats is going to be my stance on the issue My understanding (yep, theres that word again!!) is the max lift figures are based on all options available to that particular vehicle. So if Jeep supply the mopar coils as an option then we should be able to increase travel to bump (or decrease in case of rebound) travel another 1/3 on top of that.

Jasper, not saying you (or anyone else for matter) is wrong, but the document is written by a beuracrat who hasnt explained themselves very well. Without further clarification from QLD transport (which I believe jk has somewhere) I read this section "considered acceptable where the suspension travel in the bump or rebound mode is not altered by more than one-third" as meaning travel to bump, or, travel to rebound. This can only be measured from the static height acheived after the lift would it not?

Its all way too confusing, especially since the rules are different in every state, so I am going with the assumption that since its an option provided by Jeep its gotta be cool. At least thats what I am telling the misses (who hasnt hassled me in a few days about it!)

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 16-07-2010
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

got my new 33's today for my jk on a 16x8 5inch bs black steel rockcrawler rim.
happy with them and the looks have improved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	41364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	41365  

97 comped tj ute,
07 v8 cruiser tow rig.
Old 16-07-2010
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally View Post
got my new 33's today for my jk on a 16x8 5inch bs black steel rockcrawler rim.
happy with them and the looks have improved.
does it rub at full flex or when turning to its full capacity?
Old 16-07-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bally12 View Post
does it rub at full flex or when turning to its full capacity?

That set up should have no issues at all...

Accept he will need longer brake lines if he pushes the truck to its limits...

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Post New Thread  Reply