Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 20 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-07-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice.. Looks to be pretty much the same as the lift I achieved.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 03-08-2010
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Spare wheel Bump stops...

Having just put 16x8x5BS ProComp wheels w/ 285x75R16 MTZ on the Jeep, the spare wheel bump stops were about 1" short of the tyre.

Common problem; the fix is to buy extended bump stops or???

What I did after much searching is drop in to Bunning’s and buy two Extra Large black rubber door stops (the kind you screw into the skirting boards behind the door).

They are tapered and the narrowest end is just a tad bigger than the hole in the rear bump stop but it will fit with little effort and about 2”s long. Pushed them in about half way and let the tyre do the rest when I put the wheel nuts back on...

Now the bump stops work perfectly and it only cost me about $5.00.

Just thought I would share... my cheap as; budget fix...

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.

Last edited by Gravel; 03-08-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: in response to question below
Old 03-08-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stJeep View Post
Are you referring to the spare wheel stop?

Correct... as the heading says....

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Old 09-08-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well we haven't even brought a wrangler yet but we're looking into possibly getting a 2" lift straight up (factory) and weather he can get the tires changed out for BFG KM2's.

Do you have any advice in which size would be better and why?
LT255/80R17/E
LT265/70R17/E
or I guess there is always close to stock size LT245/75R17/E

On the landcruiser (which is selling) we run 265/75/R16 in the original Mud Terrain pattern.

I read that the 2010JK won't fit 16" rims...or maybe just with barely any clearance, is that correct?

Last edited by Pebble; 09-08-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-08-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble View Post
Well we haven't even brought a wrangler yet but we're looking into possibly getting a 2" lift straight up (factory) and weather he can get the tires changed out for BFG KM2's.

Do you have any advice in which size would be better and why?
LT255/80R17/E
LT265/70R17/E
or I guess there is always close to stock size LT245/75R17/E

On the landcruiser (which is selling) we run 265/75/R16 in the original Mud Terrain pattern.

I read that the 2010JK won't fit 16" rims...or maybe just with barely any clearance, is that correct?
The 255/80R17s will be effectively 33" while the 265/70R17s are pretty much 32s. The 245/75R17s will be marginally smaller in diameter again.

I have 265/70R17s on my JK and I am happy with them. When they wear I will have to think about if I want to go for 33s or not. I think they look better with a lift but I am quite happy with 32s for the moment.

And yes, I have heard the newer JKs won't fit 16" wheels anymore...
Old 09-08-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Hi Pebble: my 2cents on the matter.

If you want different tyres, budget for buying new 17" rims (either steel or alloy, your choice, I like alloy as they're lighter and stronger) with a greater backspacing than standard so you can fit an aftermarket tie rod with Heavy Duty tie rod ends such as the Poly Performance item from Doubleblackoffroad.

The larger tyres WILL wear your standard steering gear quicker than usual and you may find yourself suffering mild and eventually even extreme shimmy (ie: death wobble) where the vehicle will become completely uncontrollable at speed and completely randomly. This wear could occur within 5000km or 50,000km...there's no absolute number for how long the stock items will last due to variables).

Oh, and you have to buy aftermarket as the dealer won't replace anything in the steering or suspension due to non standard sized tyres (OK, some will if you're lucky, but you'll be back there again in no time as it'll wear out again). The stock components in the steering and suspension are suitable ONLY for use with the stock wheels and tyres (And even then their quality is questionable).
Old 09-08-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, I'm mainly the research assistant so I'll pass the info on to the boss!

We are currently looking into aftermarket rims as well, to date though we've only gone as far as buying ROH or King steel rims in the past and one motivation for aftermarket is due to the fact that he likes steel over Al. His preferance would be King or something equivalent in strength. My preference is anything not too finicky to wash!
Thoughts in regards to alloy is that they're easier to damage when changing tires (tire pliers during a long trip for example) and not as easy to hammer back into shape if one had to?
I thought that aluminum is more likely to crack where as steel is more likely to bend, but I guess that depends entirely on the type of aluminium alloy used?

Anyhow so through the dealer the best we might do is get KM2's in 245/75R17 to replace the stock Goodyears which are the same size (keep the OEM rims for now).

Otherwise I guess the options are endless in the aftermarket arena.

I have read about the death wobble thing too, didn't realize it was so directly related to changing tire sizes. Not that I know what tie rods are, but I didn't think it was necessary to change them unless you get a tyre that's a fair bit bigger than stock.
Post New Thread  Reply