Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 21 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2010
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble View Post
Thanks, I'm mainly the research assistant so I'll pass the info on to the boss!

We are currently looking into aftermarket rims as well, to date though we've only gone as far as buying ROH or King steel rims in the past and one motivation for aftermarket is due to the fact that he likes steel over Al. His preferance would be King or something equivalent in strength. My preference is anything not too finicky to wash!
Thoughts in regards to alloy is that they're easier to damage when changing tires (tire pliers during a long trip for example) and not as easy to hammer back into shape if one had to?
I thought that aluminum is more likely to crack where as steel is more likely to bend, but I guess that depends entirely on the type of aluminium alloy used?

Anyhow so through the dealer the best we might do is get KM2's in 245/75R17 to replace the stock Goodyears which are the same size (keep the OEM rims for now).

Otherwise I guess the options are endless in the aftermarket arena.

I have read about the death wobble thing too, didn't realize it was so directly related to changing tire sizes. Not that I know what tie rods are, but I didn't think it was necessary to change them unless you get a tyre that's a fair bit bigger than stock.
Most if not all alloy wheels designed for offroad use will be superior and stronger than steel.

Steel rims can be bashed back into shape but this is only a temporary measure. you can very rarely make the rim spin round again and plus the steel suffers from work hardening. Once you bend a rim it will bend again in the same spot and bend easier with the potential to crack.

As it is with the 245/75r17 you might find the JK has more diff clearance than your cruiser at the moment (much smaller diffs on the Jeep) so he may not even need or want bigger tyres.
Old 09-08-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After 2 1/2 years I have had no probs (except for damaged caused by me...LOL) you will find the stock rims will carry a 33" tyre no problem... For steel wheels the easiest will be to look at procomp... that make a multitude of types to suite the JK... I have now just over 3" of lift and 33"s on steel procomps. I've not changed a great deal and the jeep runs really well. The only changes apart from the lift are longer adjustable sway bar links on the rear, front adjustable disconnects, adjustable track bars (panhards) front/rear and longer brake lines.

Although there are some here that have had challenges there are also some who have none... Like myself... I have not changed things because I feel like it or its sounds good to do it...

Do what feels right for you...

You will find that the 255x80R17 KM2's are only just over an inch taller than the stock 255's and from what I hear and see they work really well and you should have no issues with regards to rubbing etc...

Most of all... enjoy your jeep.

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Old 09-08-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, he has rang around and did indeed find that King don't make 17" rims, so Procomp is the next best choice.
Also looking into a price for procomp (265/70r17s muds) at the moment as well, I don't think the BFG's are available in the size he wanted (255/80) and thinks the 285/70/17 might be a bit big for our needs.

And yes I completely understand that bashing a rim into shape would be a temporary thing. I guess in the end if you go somewhere like that then you'd be carrying enough spares anyway.

Lol my Husbands nick name is Rowdy, but since I'm Pebble I did once nick name him Rock to go with the theme, how funny if we had Pebble, Gravel and Rock here!

Last edited by Pebble; 09-08-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebble View Post
Thanks, he has rang around and did indeed find that King don't make 17" rims, so Procomp is the next best choice.
Also looking into a price for procomp (265/70r17s muds) at the moment as well, I don't think the BFG's are available in the size he wanted (255/80) and thinks the 285/70/17 might be a bit big for our needs.

And yes I completely understand that bashing a rim into shape would be a temporary thing. I guess in the end if you go somewhere like that then you'd be carrying enough spares anyway.

Lol my Husbands nick name is Rowdy, but since I'm Pebble I did once nick name him Rock to go with the theme, how funny if we had Pebble, Gravel and Rock here!
i just had a look at the BF goodrich australian web site, they do have a bfg mud terrain km2 in the 255/80/17 size, have a look for yourself if you want on the link below
http://www.bfgoodrich.com.au/config/...ensionData.pdf
Old 09-08-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMangler View Post
i just had a look at the BF goodrich australian web site, they do have a bfg mud terrain km2 in the 255/80/17 size, have a look for yourself if you want on the link below
http://www.bfgoodrich.com.au/config/...ensionData.pdf
I realize the mfg made that size but I think the local supplier he contacted probably couldn't get it in that size.
After doing more research looking at Goodyear MT/R as well
Probably
1.Goodyear MT/R
2. BFG KM2
3. Maxxis Bighorn or ProComp Extreme MT etc. I know Maxxis makes great downhill mountainbike tyres, Michelin used to as well.

At least he seems to have decided to keep the stock rims (for now anyway) and just buy an extra spare.

Now thanks all for your help, since this thread is a sticky it should probably get back on the original topic rather than my banter. Wish us luck for the test drive, and hopefully the wait won't be too long once we put the order in
Old 15-08-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

I just picked up a 2nd hand 01/08 JK renegade from Brisbane. Standard Wrangler tyres, ( rope plug in spare), on standard 17" Jeep rims. With a 2" lift using OME springs & shocks. No other changes that I have found (yet).

I have suspicions that it may have had a front bar & other wheels/tyres that were replaced with OEM items on trade in. Fair enough, if you are transferring the stuff to a newer model.
Old 16-08-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you fit 255 85 16 (33 inch ) tyres on a standard 16 inch steel rim on a 2007 jk with out any spacers will it rub ?
Post New Thread  Reply