GPS and Map Updates - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts

Great work.
Old 25-07-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 243 Times in 135 Posts

Hi Troutman. Well I have purchased the IGO Navigation which actually is IGO World Nextgen maps (2018Q2) for AUS/NZ, then added 3D Package, Safety Camera Database and the free Premium Geography Map Package (2015Q3) and if you go the the IGO Webpage you can see the app. I've lived with the Garmin Nuvi 65 5 inch screen for years so by comparison it looks a a lower resolution a tad. I went to the Brisbane CBD, well, that changed as every building in the CBD is there in 3D so a bit over the top for car but for walking would be ahoot. Remember this is the specific android version extracted. After a long search, I've concluded its road based mapping and may try my old Garmin eTrex 30 to see if I can place another layer. I didn't bother with truck and caravan extra. The $40 invested on the phone means updates on phone is free and ongoing from what I have read.

Folks, if you want to venture into this one step at a time I would automatically head to https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...3194106/page11

And download Leighm0's ISO files 1 for MY14-15 and 2 MY16 (14.05.03) Without these files, there is no capability to install new maps. Then on Page 12 down the messages, Leighm0 again posts all of his work in a zip file. Again a must to download.

If you do this first I will then post in detail stage one for all Laredo owners in step by step detail and you can practice on your uConnect radios. We are just placing the relevant year Leighm0 iso on a quality USB (do not run it) and then we just create a notepad file (please download freeware Notepad++ and use that to ensure we manage all stages well) and we are going to create a 'script.Lua' on the USB. Then create an empty folder titled 'originals' please.

If you open notepad++ for the first time please paste the following exactly as stated into notepad++ (you can use basic notepad but I want you on ++ given later on pls) and then save it. Congrats, you have just created your first linux script to obtain your productid file.

local os = os
-- begin
-- copy productid from radio to usb stick and stop
os.execute("cp -f /dev/fram/productid /fs/usb0/originals/productid")
os.execute("mount -ur /fs/mmc0/")
os.execute(mountpath.."/usr/share/scripts/mmc.sh stop")

That's it, you are all set to perform your first very safe action and that is to commence the 14.05.03 modified update (nothing changes on your uConnect) but you have to press update from your unitversion to 14.05.03 and then wait 35 seconds and you will find it restarts to update then stops and says eject USB. The radio restarts and returns to normal. Hence you must have a 'script.lua' file. you can study Leighm0's extensive scripts. The '--' are not acted upon so you can type any text. the 'cp' is Copy command and 'f' is file from its radio location to the folder on the usb called 'originals. The next two lines are set to read only then stop! These two lines will always be there and never change. Then take your USB to the PC and presto your productid will be there so we can confirm you have copied your productid successfully.

This specific ISO bypasses all checks and before it actually loads it seeks out the usb for instructions, completes your instructions and then stops.

Using Notepad++ change the VP3 to a VP4. then save as productid to another folder on usb called 'modified'. Open your script and change just one line, remove our copy command from radio to usb and replace it with our copy from modified usb folder to the radio.

os.execute("cp -f /fs/usb0/modified/productid /dev/fram")

Again if you want study Leighm0's extensive scrip.lua so you can confirm you have correct spacing. By now you should see it is a command to copy the file, in this case replace the original. Once you complete process. Your laredo non-nav version will show the navigation icon and awaiting activation (because you have no license map files *.Lyc).

Stage one complete (you can change back to VP3 once exercise is complete for now). Stage two is more effort as above. If you are comfortable with above, then we will move to stage two which is where all Jeep owners can play as we obtain two files, add the number 2 and copy replace these and add the NaviServer2 to a new location, keeping the old. All Navigation Jeep versions will not see any change as your maps continue to work but your NaviServer version has changed in settings. Thats the next tute. Am I okay to continue in this thread? That's it for now.

Last edited by Mousie; 25-07-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 26-07-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Mousie - are you able to indicate in that post which part(s) are specific to Laredo owners and which ones are for Limited+?
Old 26-07-2019
CrawlerStar

Good point. All models should do this to complete but only Laredo’s should copy back the change. Limited and above be set up ready for next tut I will post by Tuesday night.
Old 27-07-2019
CrawlerStar

Tute stage two: All GC's from 14.25.5 to 16.13.13 firmware confirmed by me (may be up to 16.33.xx) need to complete this so as to move to the final stage, which is updating to current maps to any 8.4 uConnect. It does not matter if Laredo's are still awaiting activation as this will resolve when we move to map files and licences.

To assist all, I have this link to download my set of files for this session so you can first see and understand the process you will be doing. If you could download my rar file it contains a script.lua I made for you to use, to download your own 2 nav.sh and navRestart.sh and of course our alternative NaviServer2 file for uploading.

https://mega.nz/#!7v4EzAxI!iJ_Yj5DMf...we2a1POAKAariI

First open my nav.sh file, you are going to download your own from your system with my script file, but just showing you what it will look like first. Please open nav.sh in notepad++ and then scroll down to approx line 49. You will see 'NaviServer2' and you only add the number '2' as I did in this file. Thats it one single entry only, nothing else and save into your modified file on usb. Repeat same process for navRestart.sh and look at line approx 63 and you see my 'NaviServer2' so you mission is to use your USB 14.05.03 iso and script file to copy from radio to your usb your original nav.sh and navRestart.sh files so you can open your own and you will find the same references without the '2'. Add the '2' like mine and save to your modified USB folder.

We don't touch the NaviServer2 file, just add it to the modfied folder. Your original NaviServer file is in another /bin location in the radio file system and we will just leave it there. So for what ever reason you want to go back, you just upload your original nav.sh and navRestart.sh and it switches back to NaviServer with NaviServer2 becoming idle.

Rather than write your script I have given you mine, so you can see presently it is set to copy two file to your USB. Notepad++ has these in blue os.execute and the others in green commencing with '--' The '--' turns off the command, so after you copy and modify, you add '--' to the copy command and then remove the '--' for our uploading commands. So what is chmod 755? It is simply setting the file permissions (remember read / hidden files on PC) well it is just setting the permissions and your all done.

For Nav enabled units, take a picture of setting navigation for the NaviServer version and once you complete this task you will see the different version number noting our NaviServer2 is working. This applies only to all Jeeps with maps already loaded as the licence files turn this on. For Laredo's you will still see undefined as we need licence files but you can complete this proces as ready for maps.

Please note: just study my files first then go to Leighm0 massive all in scrip.lua and you can start to see that he is just turing on and off via '--' so never really having to write a script.

Secondly, if you read ahead in the xda forms you will see chaps getting in a pickle because they get lost or lack the understanding. I will explain this in next tute to keep all on a narrow safe path. It will take you longer moving file slowley but get the job done. We are just effectively downloading our old maps, removing old maps (once we know we have a good copy) and uploading new maps. Finally please double check you have the capitalisation correct 'NaviServer2' as to caps. Remember when your PC says you do something wrong, well with linux commands you do not get that feedback!

If your reading Stage 1 and 2, and starting to have a play with Notepad++ you will see why we use the progam vs placing text on a forum!

Last edited by Mousie; 27-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 27-07-2019
CrawlerStar

Default IGO Navigation files

Folks, at this time, it you are confident to do the above you should be thinking of your own maps and how to acquire them. Basically there is heaps of threads on google for a terminology called 'rooted' Android. So if you buy IGO Navigation and then plug your normal andriod into PC you can surf to all the map files you need. The basemap lyc file can also be downloaded but not the license files.

They are located /fs/data/user/0 etc and to access and copy the license files out you need to 'root' the android system for access. We then upload to our 8.4uConnect and as the phone updates in the future free we manually add to our radios.

I'm not in position to help here given the number of phones, types and DIY or buy an old $30 samsung to keep for our jeeps as I have done. I'm pretty impressed after taking the jeep for a drive and all the settings so was worth it for me. Your call on this.

I happen to have selected the android phone that no one else has rooted generally (Gotta love this) and once rooted I downloaded the freeware Total Commander file manager from the playstore. With total commander surf to data/data.com.nng.igo.primong.igoworld/private_data and presto you will see all the license files for the maps. I just bookmark that folder then use the copy folder to either internal memory location or SD card that you PC can access to copy all your *.lyc files. The rest is just locate the igo folder and find the maps to copy normally.

Last edited by Mousie; 21-08-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2019
CrawlerStar

Default Backup our Maps and Licenses

Good Evening all and tonight is the fun of seeing this come alive with backing up our original map files and licenses so you can now see what is in your uConnect. By Sunday night I will post the final tute and that is to remove old maps / licenses and copy our new maps and licenses to finish this. Why is this taking so long. Simple if all you have is a USB then we do this so all can follow. I am performing these exact functions first (again) so I know its safe before I post. Those who read ahead on xda forms are watching people with various programming skill levels and others in a pickle so this is about you having the basic tools and doing it properly so no heartache. 14.05.03 mod iso, a script.lua and a good quality USB Drive 2gig or more.

Tonight I have written this script for you and used to download my files. This time, I had to wait up to about 7-15 minutes for the script to finish as we are downloading a full backup copy. We are downloading a few hundred meg this time so just grab my script here for all to use. Its a copy command but using -rvp which is a QNX command to copy a backup of all directories and files in the structure preserved. We backup to see our original work and store in your PC. Later if you remove and copy but the navigation is not working, run this again as it will download again to see if you actually did copy the new files. There are other fancy ways but this is basic but works.

https://mega.nz/#!K6pjQAwa!2whtXp7mX...1a62K8GUfhzgrc

Your USB has this script, the 14.05.03 ISO and two empty folders. 'content' and 'license' When you run this script it is going to copy all folders and files to your USB. When finished, you see under content the files and surprise, they are in the IGO Navigation Structure. Also you can see the current licenses inside the license folder on your USB. So copy and store to PC. then have a play. Laredo owners are now sure to be hanging you navigation enabled lot as they just need the license files copied into their units for their activation to the old jeep maps!!!

Under content folder we are only going run a further script to remove and replace files under the following directories under CONTENT folder.
Building
Dem
Map
Phoneme
Poi
Speedcam
Then under LICENSE folder.
Our *.lyc files (License files)

We are not touching any other folder or files, they just remain!

In relation to basemap (2 files) which you will see in the current maps folder from your download. We will upload again and to prevent potential issues as the IGO files do not come with basemap files, here is a link to my jeep 2014 basemap files as they are working with the current IGO maps. Not sure if needed however given I know they work with the new map files from your phone you should use them to ensure all is working. They are just the bland map of the continents with QLD NSW etc without any detail.

https://mega.nz/#!W3QmSAyK!s6tk5j9tS...aXU3rFCYXtZj7o

Since we have our original backup stored. we run the remove files command under these directories, then we copy our IGO Android files all in one script.

Folks, all jeeps, navigation or not can do this part so they can see all the original files. More to follow. by Sunday night and I know if you have got to this far then you are seeing how we will keep updating our maps whilst you own your WK2.

Good news is my phone just updated to 2019 Q2 maps so perfect timing to reload the updates to jeep.

Last edited by Mousie; 02-08-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply