Grand Willys Project - Page 269 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2021
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

There was never any doubt there'd be any major issues as far as I'm concerned as you've built something of quality.

It's still an excellent result though, looking forward to seeing it on the road and a track.

Jason
Old 11-10-2021
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I guess he was following the build along with the rest of us so could see the attention to detail that has gone into it. Prob made his job a hell of a lot easier!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 11-10-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

Well done Gojeep, I'll bet there's not too many custom builders about that could say the engineer couldn't find anything wrong!
Old 16-10-2021
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Going to make a one piece headliner like that of the Grand Cherokee donor as it is a modern theme inside the cab. I will incorporate the overhead console which has yet another CANBUS module inside of it.

Being still in lockdown, using up what I have collected for the steel off the roadside. Starting with some office furniture shelves!

Rolling a edge first over the stake dolly using a flipper.

Bent some wire in the shape I want the centre section to be and used the shrinker stretcher to follow it. Part of it must match exactly the factory overhead console insert.

The office shelf wasn't long enough so added to each end. Notice I narrowed the rolled over flange so the shrinker stretcher could do the tighter curve.

Next doing the section each side above the windscreen. Using the English wheel with a flat anvil to pull over to get a non-compound curve that I am after.

The door end is being rounded over to flow into the section that will go over the door. Shrunk the edge and then hammered it over this form I picked up years ago at the scrap merchant.

I made mounts welded to the cab frame to screw the donor sunvisors into. They also have the vanity mirrors that light up that the cab is already wired for.

Dug out the offcuts from the Willys bonnets I cut up to make my bigger version. They have some surface rust now as I never coated them with anything.

Cleaned them up using stainless steel wool from the supermarket, soaked in phosphoric acid. I will use these sections to go over the door openings.

I need to increase the compound curve to suit the rear corners. Hammering into a very old base from a steam powered gold stamper! Using just a cheap hardware store ballpeen hammer that I rounded the face on to make a blocking hammer.

I needed more shrink than the shrinker could give so going old school using a tucking fork that I made from a wreaking bar. Its great as has an adjustable angle to the shaft.

Hammered down the tucks being careful not to stretch the metal in the process. It is a real art and I need much more practise at it.

Smoothed out the tucks with a high crown anvil that matched the curve I was after. Making sure not to use much pressure as can stretch it all back out again otherwise.

The bonnet curve was too straight to suit the roof profile. So hammered more shape in an arc with the blocking hammer over the sand bag.

Wheeled out the walnuts and got the shape I was after.

Over the middle of the door opening I am fitting a grab handle so needed a flat area for that to sit in. Just clamped it down to the bench and chased in the profile using mainly rounded cold chisels.

The handle was over the back door originally and has a interior light and a coat hook. I already have the wire harness in place for that too.

When making the cab frame I already integrated the mount for the grab handle, so didn't have to make anything now for it. The next section will be along the back wall.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 17-10-2021
Lowranger Shocker

the metal shaping skills are really coming out here, will you put some insulation in?
Old 17-10-2021
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ6np435 View Post
the metal shaping skills are really coming out here, will you put some insulation in?
Yes mate, will be covered in foam backed headliner like the Grand was as well as closed cell foam on the other side of it along with the sound mats the Grand had.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 17-10-2021
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Yes mate, will be covered in foam backed headliner like the Grand was as well as closed cell foam on the other side of it along with the sound mats the Grand had.
the quieter the better you have to preserve what you've got!