What did you do to your WH/XH today? - Page 21 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-04-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
My snorkel arrived today, I will have to wait a week to install it due to work.
One question ?
What type of sealant should I use as I have read you can damage the O2 sensor if I use wrong type?
There are several sensor safe sealants at your local autobarn, it will be noted on the tube. Also netural cure silicon is generally safe, netural cure means no odour or fumes.
Old 16-04-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
There are several sensor safe sealants at your local autobarn, it will be noted on the tube. Also netural cure silicon is generally safe, netural cure means no odour or fumes.
Thanks' for that, your advice is very helpful. Airflow recommend a product called "Mastic" that I am not familiar with, so if I can't find that I will use a neutral cure sealant that is flexible and all will be good.
Old 17-04-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Thanks' for that, your advice is very helpful. Airflow recommend a product called "Mastic" that I am not familiar with, so if I can't find that I will use a neutral cure sealant that is flexible and all will be good.
I posted a bit of a rant when I installed mine (on a hemi.);
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=115389

From what I've seen, "mastic" is just a broad term referring to a polyurethane adhesive/sealant.
I used Sikaflex 227. Bunnings is an easy (but fairly expensive.) place to get it.

Some things I'd really suggest;
- Make sure you've got the right 'plug' to block the stock intake snorkel before hacking at everything. You'll probably be ok though since you've got the CRD ay?
- Get a 2nd windscreen pillar bracket thing and install two of them (there should be two threads moulded into the snorkel.). I find that the snorkel moves around a fair bit in strong gusts.
- Don't spend too much time trying to get every stud lined up with every hole in the panel. I found that some of the threads were moulded on an angle, and eventually just gave up and fitted it with a few studs threaded, and threaded the rest through from the inside of the panel once the snorkel was in-place.
- Use a reciprocating saw to cut the panel (not the hole.), I think using any other tool would be a real pita.
Old 17-04-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

As for the threaded nuts moulded in on a angle, I just used a hair dryer to heat it a bit around the nuts and threaded a stud in and straightened them.
Old 17-04-2013
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMEMUD View Post
As for the threaded nuts moulded in on a angle, I just used a hair dryer to heat it a bit around the nuts and threaded a stud in and straightened them.
Bloody hell that's a good idea!
Old 17-04-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
I posted a bit of a rant when I installed mine (on a hemi.);
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=115389

From what I've seen, "mastic" is just a broad term referring to a polyurethane adhesive/sealant.
I used Sikaflex 227. Bunnings is an easy (but fairly expensive.) place to get it.

Some things I'd really suggest;
- Make sure you've got the right 'plug' to block the stock intake snorkel before hacking at everything. You'll probably be ok though since you've got the CRD ay?
- Get a 2nd windscreen pillar bracket thing and install two of them (there should be two threads moulded into the snorkel.). I find that the snorkel moves around a fair bit in strong gusts.
- Don't spend too much time trying to get every stud lined up with every hole in the panel. I found that some of the threads were moulded on an angle, and eventually just gave up and fitted it with a few studs threaded, and threaded the rest through from the inside of the panel once the snorkel was in-place.
- Use a reciprocating saw to cut the panel (not the hole.), I think using any other tool would be a real pita.
Thanks' James, I re-read your install yesterday and am soaking up all the info I can. I have an 88mm hole saw and a 95mm, should I go out and buy the 90mm as per the instructions?
Old 17-04-2013
Full Flexer

Quote:
Thanks' James, I re-read your install yesterday and am soaking up all the info I can. I have an 88mm hole saw and a 95mm, should I go out and buy the 90mm as per the instructions?
I think I used an 89mm saw and had a few mm clearance.
So I recon you might be ok with 88mm depending on the saw. Mine walked 1-2mm which got smoothed out with the dremel. Pretty hard to keep it dead-on with the curve of the panel.
... Although it'd suck if you're a couple of mm too small on all sides.
If you're around the Hills any time soon, you're welcome to grab the saw I used as a backup.
Post New Thread  Reply