DSLR Camera, which one? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-12-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts
Default DSLR Camera, which one?

I am thinking about buying myself a dslr for Christmas. This will be my first one.
I am budgeting around 1500 or so. I mainly want to take landscape pics as well as general photography.
So far I think the canon 200d is the front runner. For 1200 you get the body a 18-55, a 55-250, and a 50f/1.8 lenses a tripod a bag and battery.
If anyone has knowledge about this type of gear I would like to hear your opinion/recommendations.
Cheers
Old 21-12-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Cameras are a VERY individual thing. I used to be a semi-professional and started off with Minolta gear back in the film days, then went to Nikon DSLR’s. There isn’t really a bad camera amongst the brand name units, you have to judge them on the basis of the features you want, against the price point you’re willing to pay.

This may, or may not help but for ME, I prefer to buy a better quality body and a single lens, or even no lens and buy lenses later to get a better quality outfit in the end. I have found over the years a number of friends that went that way have been happy with the results as their photography has expanded and improved due to having better gear, and those who were only interested in “happy snaps” I’ve recommended a good to very good compact camera instead to keep their spending down and their overall experience up.
But no matter which way you choose to go, enjoy it as a good camera has the tendency to get you out and about.
Engage in the themed challenges we used to do, it’s a fun way to get to experience different types of photography and environments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21-12-2017
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

The 200D is an entry level camera, OK for ordinary shots. I started out with a 400D with a IIRC 18-55 lens. From there I got a 24-105 L series lens (had a red ring on the front of the lens) and I started to get sharp as a tack good shots. From there I got a 40D and wow. I had one of my storm shots shown on Channel 9 twice.
The only down side is the bigger the camera, the heavier they get.
My 40D is sitting in my shed and is for sale if you are interested. Where are you?
Old 21-12-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

Thanks for the replies. It is definitely a can'o'worms.
After doing some more research I am thinking of upping my budget and try and get one that has some weather sealing, like a canon 77d or Nikon d7200. Or out of left field a Pentax .
I am in Melbourne.
Old 21-12-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

I purchased a 200d mainly for making videos of the Jeep. I'm pretty impressed with it so far (although I'm a rank amateur at this stuff).

I found Goodguys on ebay the cheapest (they had 20% off on ebay when I purchased) and you can buy online then pickup in store, however had Harvey Norman price match as theres a shop local to me. Currently they are $779 or the like with one lense.
Old 21-12-2017

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'd recommend just getting a body and one or two decent lenses. The kit lenses are pretty average so no point paying for them now as they're not worth much to sell if you want to upgrade. I started with a Canon 600D and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 as an all-round lens and over time picked up other mid-range lenses, some used. For landscapes I mainly use a Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for indoors, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS for motorsport and various . I never use a tripod myself.
Old 22-12-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Thanks for the replies. It is definitely a can'o'worms.

After doing some more research I am thinking of upping my budget and try and get one that has some weather sealing, like a canon 77d or Nikon d7200. Or out of left field a Pentax .

I am in Melbourne.

I use a Nikon D7200, it’s everything you could possibly need in a camera.
Post New Thread  Reply