Homemade Rear bar and Carrier - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2006
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Did some more today, made the second mount, mounted the main bar, got my spindle and hub in the post along with the bearings, picked up a bunch of new bolts, mounted the spindle and smoothed it out a bit

The ends need shaping to follow the lines of the body and I'll also be adding some returns that replace the plastic bits that go up the guards. I'll be trimming the guards at the same time to allow room for 32's

The spindle mounted, a bit of scratch filler on there as well to pretty it up as I put down about three beads of weld and want it to look smooth. It needs a little more smoothing still, I'm happy though it's plenty strong.

And underneath, I poked it through a little for extra strength, it wont be going anywhere, still needs welding down here.

And the profile, I wanted to keep it fairly thin but still stick out enough to hang off if needed. There will be a filler plate between body and bar and it will also go up under the taillights. Still a bit to do to make it look nice.

And the hub, it will sit up a little higher than this once the bearings are mounted. I may also need to mount a pair of brake/taillights in the bar if it is obscured too much, I'll see how it goes.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-12-2006

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

what size is the main bar?
Old 01-12-2006
So play on just play on

It's 125mmx75mm, I was going to angle the bottom of it like the stock one but with a towbar under it decided it was too much work and I quite like the beefy look it has. Angling the ends will make it look slimmer I think.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-12-2006
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice job

Are you going to put a return on the ends or leave it with blunt ends?
Old 01-12-2006
So play on just play on

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankieone
Nice job

Are you going to put a return on the ends or leave it with blunt ends?
Going to put a return on, the ends will be cut to match the body lines and then I'll bend up some plate to use as the returns. There still heaps to do before it's finished.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-12-2006
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

looking good steve stealing your ideas again
Old 02-12-2006
Jeepless!

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

dude im impressed with how well your welding has come, its damn impressive, bar is looking good too!