2014-2017 unconnect radio patch - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-04-2022
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 349 Times in 182 Posts
Default 2014-2017 unconnect radio patch

I read in a post some where that Jeep Australia may be offering some sort of paid subscription update for uconnect older radios re newer maps, digital radio and other stuff??
Anyone heard of this??
Old 25-04-2022
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I heard it on one of the Facebook groups, but only the one person has been told this so far that I can see. I have been chasing my dealer since Sept 2015... (and they are a good dealer to work with!) Personally I am not holding my breath as the issue was Garmin not providing it, hence the new ones are now through TomTom.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 25-04-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

Likewise to SeaComms, one person on one of the facebook groups mentioned it, with another saying they'd been told similar in the comments. Very scant details, but supposedly a one-off payment of $125 for 3yrs.

I can't see it offering anything other than updated maps, which I guess is something, but the phone-based map apps are superior in pretty much every way.

Old 26-04-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

If Jeep was offering it there would be fanfare, whistles and balloons ............. I have never thought any of these systems no matter what the vehicle are much chop really as support is out the door on most after the first service... My Navman is 7 years old and still gets updates... I do a full reboot every few years to clean it up....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 26-04-2022
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
If Jeep was offering it there would be fanfare, whistles and balloons ............. I have never thought any of these systems no matter what the vehicle are much chop really as support is out the door on most after the first service... My Navman is 7 years old and still gets updates... I do a full reboot every few years to clean it up....
I have no doubt that the fanfare will come, it's just early days and not officially announced yet.

Agree with your comment about the nav systems in any vehicle - have used the offerings from multiple brands and all are garbage. Part of the reason why CarPlay and Android Auto were such game changers and were quickly adopted.

I'd go further and say that even the experience offered by the standalone navigation units offered by Tomtom, Garmin, Navman, etc. aren't really up to scratch these days compared to phone apps. I was recently playing around with a family member's brand new top of the range Garmin unit and it was a terrible experience. Slow, poor UI, unnecessarily complicated to input addresses, and maps that were out-of-date (even though they were updated 2wks prior).

Old 26-04-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

I like the KiSS principle with these things, too much ginning around then bin it, I think this is my third Navman, first was a work one, bit clunky but was early days for them, next was personal and it was okay again early days for them, this last one is pretty good, battery is knackered after all these years but still gets updates, like all these electronic toys it will every few years have a hissy so I just do a clean boot to the whole system, reload my address's from back up and away we go for another few years ......... I never , ever rely on these things to navigate for me, I check the paper map or google earth and use it mainly as a distance marker to next turn/town, otherwise they all can lead to your doom, especially out west.
Be interesting if they did updates but then that would mean a visit to a dealer...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 26-04-2022
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Be interesting if they did updates but then that would mean a visit to a dealer...
Not necessarily - software updates on these can be done using a USB. It all just depends how they offer it. Mazda runs something similar where you download map and software updates off their platform onto a USB and update the vehicle's system using that.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Again, can't really see map updates alone being that much of a draw for many people. Maybe it'd be a good upsell for new buyers, but $125 is nothing in the scheme of things. CarPlay in the pre-2017 UConnect would be a great offering, but I can't see them getting around the need for a hardware upgrade for that to be possible.

Post New Thread  Reply