Considering a JK - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Considering a JK

I'm considering getting a second hand JK unlimited CRD auto with around 60,000k or less. I'm coming from a 2012 Landrover D4 SDV6 so I'm expecting a significantly different experience. Want to tow a Jayco Eagle outback but I've been reading about significant cooling issues with this vehicle (towing or not) so I'm concerned if this is the vehicle for me or not. Is there an overall and complete solution for the JK's heating woe's? Will it tow the Jayco adequately?
Power to weight numbers are relatively similar between the two vehicles so I'm assuming it should be ok???

Cheers in advance
Old 10-03-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

There is no easy fix. Don't block airflow, keep radiator clean, decent coolant, new better fan clutch, separate transmission cooler will all help.

Any weight, bigger tyres, lifts, anything unaerodynamic etc will increase temps.

Why do you want a wrangler? If it's not for awesome offroad ability and solid front axle etc I frankly wouldn't bother.

A lr d4 is leagues better in comfort, economy, power etc. I guess a jk is cheaper than a lr if that's a consideration?

It will probably tow it fine but you won't be going too quick.
Old 10-03-2016
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

I had the Disco 4 SDV6 myself and trust me, the JK is a totally different vehicle. Not in a bad way, as each vehicle serves it's purpose

The Disco was one of the best tow vehicles I have owned, as well as being comfortable and great on fuel.
The JK is unbeatable off road and so much fun to drive.
Decisions, decisions.....
Old 10-03-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts

I just drove my bosses LR Disco 4 2015 HSE the other day all i can say would you want a jku Diesel.
I have a diesel jku and its stone age compared to the Disco.
But one thing is the disco is boring, yes it cruised along at 110 and you felt like you were doing 40kmh supple on the road with the air suspension.
What i like about my jeep big tyres sitting up high you feel like you are in a real 4wd. The jeep has got character.
I Have a caravan and tows it well and before that i had a Jayco Outback Dove and it towed that better about 13 to 15 LPH

Last edited by kx steve; 10-03-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the roof off idea and so do my sons. Also the D4 is 4 years old now and as they say, a change is as good as a holiday. Prior to the D4, I had a Defender so I'm familiar with the rudimentary nature although the JK is luxury compared to the Defender. Not to mention freeing up some cash in the change over if I decide to go that way. I may just wait in the hope Jeep will bring out a JK with the 3l CRD from the Grand Cherokee....I can't for the life of me understand why thats not the current diesel motor for these vehicles anyway.
Old 11-03-2016
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I may just wait in the hope Jeep will bring out a JK with the 3l CRD from the Grand Cherokee....I can't for the life of me understand why thats not the current diesel motor for these vehicles anyway.
I have heard rumours of that. Would be an awesome combination.
My WK2 has the 3Lt CRD. Outstanding economy, power & torque.
Would really put the JK streets ahead of its competitors.

Cheers, Craig
Old 11-03-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

One could argue the chassis is NOT capable of handling that performance.

Last edited by chris0375; 11-03-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply