Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! - Page 13 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!!

Just got the news from the dealership they checked it out and found cracks in the rail and bolts sheared off and still in the pump.
Good news Jeep Australia paying for it , bad news ordering parts and having panel shop repair and weld rail means no Jeep for 2 or more weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22-03-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

yes its a fun job this one. I worked for a local dealer in town and did several jeeps with the cracks in the frame. I would drill all cracks at the start to end like TSB would say and weld the plates onto the frame after. spray with cold gal paint then spray with the matching colour in spray cans made up by panel shop. When they made them RHD the front cross member the radiator sits on covered the crush sleeve top mounting leg inside the frame up top. This cross member covered a slot that was supposed to get welded in the factory and it was not as the operator welder could not get to it. One of the checks showed a tool that bolted to the cross member (existing holes) and directly over the covered slot. you then drilled the area were the tool indicated to drill to open up the cross member over the slot. I then weld the leg to the top of the frame. If you look at left rail when the radiator is out you see the slot in the top of the rail I speak of it's for LHD. I am good welder and enjoyed the look on the other mechanics faces when I first started. They gave them to me from then on. I like to take pride in my work and I Know how important it is for this job to be done right as you could be passing me on the road one day and I don't wont you steering to fail. I also do roadworthy's for NSW and have seen some bad repairs in my time. HQ holden chassis cracks, Ford falcon spring tower cracks, Valiant rusted and cracker rails around the steering box, upper control arm mount cracks and complete separation on test drives. Nissan patrol rear frame cracks. Nissan spring mounts hitting on the wagon floors when they broke off because of the air bags.
Toyota hi lux front shocker mounts broken off spring hangers cracked. should see what new fj 40 Toyota is doing to its chassis/frame engine mounts broken off inner slash guards cracked that bad that you cannot get out of the car as the front doors will not open due to contact with the front guards. So with the jeep they stuffed up, put they still acknowledge this problem my only concern is this job is only as good as the person doing it. with age comes oil leaks, rust ect. welds need good clean material to work and the person doing the job, well if he/she don't like jeeps good luck with the repair. I have seen some repairs done by a blind man. Remember clean if you think it's clean I bet it's not. remember to keep up the fish oil or cavity wax inside the rail fresh once a year as the welds on the plates burn the gal paint off inside the rail. flood it.
Old 30-03-2014
AJOR Silver

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Well it's coming up to the dealership having the car for 4 weeks with nothing being done to it.
Apparently there waiting for parts to arrive from the USA not sure what's happening with the steering box as the sheared bolts are still stuck in it.
Then the Jeep with be taken to a panel beaters for it to be welded in place and repaired. I would hope it then would go to a steering joint for a wheel alignment.

Old 30-03-2014
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Took them something like 6 weeks to get the parts for mine in Perth
Old 21-04-2014
AJOR Silver

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Just had a call from the dealership they couldn't find any parts in the USA but managed to find them from a dealership in Perth so hopefully will get my car back after Easter
If there having problems finding parts for the repairs for mine, hope if anyone else has similar problem that they still can find parts.

Old 27-04-2014
Established Member

Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

I just got my Jeep back from Adelaide dealership. I had to argue for months to get them to fix it with many, many, many calls to Jeep Australia. It eventually got sent to a panel repair shop who had it for a month before finally returning it to me all nicely welded up. The steering wheel is not aligned properly but I've had it with Jeep and the panel shop so I'm gonna try to fix it myself. I'm hoping it's not too hard. The bolts are still around as the Adelaide dealership got them from Jeep Australia and the panel shop made up the plates themselves as far as I'm aware.

I'm no welder but it looks like a good job and the car steers nicely now. I had a wheel alignment done on the front when I got it back but apparently it was only slightly out.
Old 23-05-2014
AJOR Silver

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Yah , just got my Jeep back from the deal ship and panel shop , took 3 months to find parts and repair. They did a wheel alignment too.
Drives a lot better feels tighter too. Probably cost more to repair than the Jeeps worth.