Tips for a sand driving noob - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujabe View Post
Also worth mentioning, with all the electrickery in 4x4's these days, be aware that traction control is not your friend in sand. It will brake the wheels that spin, which in soft sand is all of them... In the Cherokee, hit sand in the wrong mode without traction control turned off and it'll embarrass you and stop/bog pretty much immediately - The press of a button or two and the capability of the vehicle is transformed - so I'd recommend brushing up on how it all works in your vehicle.
My mate found this out in his new FJ Cruiser, traction and other rubbish all turned on and she bogs down and stops moving all together, haha

Sent from under my Grand Cherokee
Old 11-09-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprod View Post
Cheers mate. I figured that the maxtracks, a shovel and airing down would cover most of it off. I will also pick up a bow shackle and hitch receiver for the rear - I don't have front recovery points yet but from what I hear, reversing out is often the best method anyway.
Front recovery points are essential IMHO.
Old 11-09-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 107 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvokka View Post
Front recovery points are essential IMHO.

Yeah, I really need to get around to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Offroad Animal Front Recovery Points and Nudge Bar
Old 12-09-2017
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujabe View Post
Also worth mentioning, with all the electrickery in 4x4's these days, be aware that traction control is not your friend in sand. It will brake the wheels that spin, which in soft sand is all of them... In the Cherokee, hit sand in the wrong mode without traction control turned off and it'll embarrass you and stop/bog pretty much immediately - The press of a button or two and the capability of the vehicle is transformed - so I'd recommend brushing up on how it all works in your vehicle.
Good Point.

I forgot about this. I automatically turn it off in the Wrangler without even thinking about it. I've never had it bog me but it's a pain having the power sapped when you are trying to keep moving in really soft sand.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 12-09-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 107 Times in 68 Posts

Pretty sure in sand mode in the grand it turns off anyway, but great point and I'll make sure to be sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Offroad Animal Front Recovery Points and Nudge Bar
Old 12-09-2017
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'm pretty sure you'd need a permit which can be bought at:

Port Mac
Laurieton
Wauchope

http://www.pmhc.nsw.gov.au/Facilitie...les-on-Beaches
Old 13-09-2017
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Can I hijack this discussion. Also a sand newbie, going to Fraser next week. I have 20 inch rims 50 profile tyres, lovingly specced by the sales man - I didn't know better. The tyre man is suggesting not going below 22psi or you run the risk of damaging sidewall / rim / rolling the tyre off.
Anyone had experience or tips - short of buying a set of 18s in the next week along with everything else i need... ??
Ta in advance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply