Lake Eyre - the water is coming!!!! - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-03-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
Folks, I have done many travels around this beautiful country by road, or by Jeep Cherokee, and if there is one place that took my spirit, it was Lake Eyre.

I have done several trips there over the years and I can say that there is something about it that keeps me coming back. I have walked on the dry salt crust, and I have seen it with water. I have camped on the shoreline, and been the only soul between the grandeur of THE LAKE, and the UNIVERSE on some days.

Here is a link to one of the latest media reports with the progress of floodwaters from Queensland.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...23/2498207.htm

If you are looking to do a spectacular drive, keep checking on the progress of the floodwaters. Get yourself a Desert Parks Pass, and plan a trip over there in the coming months.

The Oodnadatta Track or even the road north to Maree can be negotiated by a road car if the weather has been kind to the area. The road through Muloorina Station can be done by All wheel drive (F/T 4WD) usually - and even between William Creek to ABC Bay, but you will need a bit of Ground Clearance if going into ABC Bay [no problem with Jeeps]. If the weather has been nasty to the approach tracks, particularly ABC Bay, then P/T 4WD might be needed in a couple of wash-aways. Check with local authorities before proceeding.

It is nothing difficult, particularly in the autumn-winter time. If you plan to go in Feb-March, make sure you are well prepared, and I stress to check with authorities.

Every Australian needs to visit THE LAKE.
Lake Eyre in flood times....I'd like to see that. So different to FNQ.
Old 18-03-2009
not just a web wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

It was awesome in the dry, cant wait.
Old 22-03-2009
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Great report on Channel 7's Sunday program with Jamie Durie. There is heaps of water there!
Old 22-03-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bigsuzi - what's your itinerary going to be.

We are heading up from Pt. Augusta to Maree on the Tuesday after Easter, then on the Wednesday heading to Muloorina.
Old 22-03-2009
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Leaving Melbourne on the Thursday, will be at the Lake on Saturday.
Old 23-03-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We visited Lake Eyre on Christmas day, 03. Unforgettable! 45deg in the shade, Had ham sangas for lunch, by the time you put it to your mouth, the edges were curling!. I know it was the worst time of year to visit, but we were "going past", so decided to have a look. Even as uncomfortable as it was, we would do it again. The utter isolation is something else, and just the shear ENORMITY of the place. We were on a trip around OZ at the time, visited the lowest and the highest place in OZ!, What an eye opener. Good to show the kids a piece of Oz, that they didn't know existed, also how and where some people live in this country! If you have the chance, do it. Would love to see it with water and birds!

Lake Eyre South

Lake Eyre (North?)

Mount Koskiosko, the biggest mound in the bacckground

Last edited by NTJEEP; 31-03-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 31-03-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 186 Times in 118 Posts

Okay, how are your preparations going? Just checking in to make sure you are all packed and ready to go... Make sure you have your Desert Parks Pass, or know where to pick one up on your way there. If you ordered it, you get detailed HEMA maps with it. There is also the Dept of Roads Northern South Australia number [or website] to ring before you leave home and definitely before you leave Port Augusta or the Flinders Ranges north.

I did the Kosziusko (sp?) - Lake Eyre double in 1999. It is probably the world's most mediocre example of highest and lowest points on a continent. But, it was worth doing... few people in Oz could lay claim to doing such a thing, not because the mountain summit is difficult to get to, but few people venture out on the Oodnadatta Track.

Last edited by eksjay; 31-03-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply