Throw out bearing or Gearbox?? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-09-2010
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaroliss View Post
hey bally is this right? so if i go to jeep and say my gearbox is stuff( which i think it is, cause it struggles to shift into 5th and 6th ) they have to replace it under staturory warranty

mines a 205 tj 6speed manaul with 80 000k's on the clock, i bought it private sale
no only applies if you buy it from a car yard. when u buy private sale your buying the car as is with the only assurance being the guy who is selling it to you, if you get it from a car yard they have to make sure they are selling a car that is roadworthy and uphold the warranty as set out by a governing body if that car comes within the limits ie under a certain age and under a certain amount of klm's. other than that your on your own.
Old 13-09-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ahhh fuc k it, ill just keep driving it around hahah
Old 13-09-2010
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

try changing your gearbox oil before you do anything else, it can make a huge difference. only use the mopar stuff tho. anything else is a compromise
Old 13-09-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

iv got my big service coming up so im gonna change all the oils, should run a lot smoother
Old 13-09-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My thrust bearing is dead aswell.. well the noise has now disappeared but it was really noisey after having some fun at the mud pits. But ill leave it until the clutch goes. I also made the mistake of filling it up with normal gear oil, but i knew something was wrong when it became impossible to drive without clunks and crunches.. so its back to the genuine mopar not really too sure why these boxes are so picky but they are .. im guessing they need a low viscosity at low temps.
Old 13-09-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow! Thanks a tonne for all the advice. I'm pretty impressed, I gotta say.

04 TJ, used from new/used dealer in Mand. 76k on the clock (Nov09) now 86k.

Start car (neutral), noise, clutch in, noise goes away, clutch out (neutral) noise is back.

Haven't noticed it during gear changing but I'll keep an ear out tomorrow. I'll also check after it's been run a while and the oil thinned a little.

Not sure on what oil was used. I'll stop by the servicing guys tomorrow and have a chat with them. I didn't take it to Jeep because the one I bought it from, well...........

Decarollis, Yes! Same noise description.
cj5350, It is the 5 speed box.

I have heard the water issue creating problems with that bearing. Is there a way to stop water entering?? I don't ride the clutch often.

If it were the thrust bearing (which I'm kinda leaning toward), would it still be able to handle offroading? I've blown a clutch out bush before and that was NOT cool.

Thanks, gang. Awesome people.

Last edited by jambij; 13-09-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 14-09-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

Clutch Diagnostic Test

If you find that your clutch has failed, here is a self diagnostic test that anyone can perform:

1. Start your car, set the parking break, and put the car in neutral.

2. With your car idling, listen for a growling noise without pushing the clutch in. If you hear something, it's most likely a problem with the transmission. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step three.

3. With the car still in neutral, begin to push the clutch and listen for noise. If you hear a chirping noise as you press, it's most likely the clutch release, or throw-out bearing. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step four.

4. Push the clutch all the way to the floor. If you hear a squealing noise, it's probably the pilot bearing or bushing.

If you don't hear any noise during these four steps, then your problem is probably not the clutch. If you hear the noise at idle and it goes away when the clutch is pressed, it may be an issue in the contact point between the fork and pivot ball.

with compliments from how stuff works

btw jambij, with 85k on the clock typically is about half life for a clutch if treated properly

Last edited by bonza; 14-09-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply