More fun with air (no chicken chippees this time) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2005
Certifiable Goat Wrangler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default More fun with air (no chicken chippees this time)

After drooling over Wooders' OBA setup at Jambo I decided to actually finish my onboard air setup.

The original Idea was a York compressor (6+cfm engine driven ex-aircon pump) supplies air to truck brake air tank to quick connect chuck for air tools, tyres, etc. Have proper lockers so don't need any silly air in my diffs :P

York compressor part of project is reco'd and ready to be installed just waiting on a pulley to drive it..coming soon.

In the meantime the boys at KAOS4x4 installed my truck air tank vertically on the cargo barrier (sourced from brissie truck wreckers & smuggled home in airline baggage to ACT.Comes with draincock and extra threaded ports). Judging by my usual driving style in the cab is the best place for it

Went and got an array of Ryco-type brass air/gas fittings. Only one I couldn't find was the one for the main tank port. Adapter I sourced at a camping store was the right thread but wrong direction

Solution - hammer a std 1/4" quick disco fitting (all $2 worth) into the supplied olive fitting from truck tank - success ! well sort of..then had to braze around the joint to stop air leakage. All cool now !

so setup for now is :

existing faithful Blue Tongue III 1.37cfm elec compressor draws air through it's foam filter into 5 way manifold.
1 port : stopcock to winch for cooling
2 port :110psi blowoff valve
3 port : air line for tools, tyres, etc
4 port : blue tongue
5 port : 1 micron filter then to truck tank via small air line joiner.

A pic tells a bazillion words so here tis :

dodgey (but airtight) brazing of custom truck tank fitting. 1/4 threaded fitting bashed into weirdass sized ex-olive fitting.

Manifold (thankyou supercheap auto) with routing.

All connections are Ryco style and bought from either Bunnings, Supercheap auto or Magnet Mart.

Project costing :
truck tank : $15
air line : (already had thin stuff for tools/tyres with BTIII). new stuff to go to winch motor and small joint for truck tank : $10 - 5m
Ryco brass fittings + 5 way alloy manifold : $30
Filter : stolen from mate : $0 normally $15
Blow off valve : stolen from mate : $0 normally $15
Teflon tape : $2

Total : $57 ($87 for no thieving from friends)

Results : Dunno only finished it tonight - will let u know But it took about 40 mins to fill 110psi b4 the blowoff actuated. air to BURN !

Now looking at the diagram I'll prob end up moving the filter to replace the foam one the BTIII uses which will remove one link in the chain and ensure all air is properly filtered. nb - the 1 micron filter is removeable & replaceable. It's a small paper tube inside the filter bowl. It doesn't have to be used but is a nice bonus
Old 22-01-2005
OG Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts

Any reasn you didn't go the YORK, I have one waitng to go in. Would like to hear from the guru of iced dandelions and chicken chippies beofre I go for the install.

Would love to see pics of the tank fitted.
Old 22-01-2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ahh fellow slayer of evildoers the york IS going in. AS stated (glasses ON !) I'm waiting on the v-groove pulley for it to be mounted. Have a plate and idler pulley ready to go just nothing to run it off. Considered the multi rib (ooh err !) option and just use one long belt but others I know have had a shitfight in this dept. v-groove seems more hassle-free.

ie Lose york belt air stops (minor bummer till it's put back on) vs lose serpentine belt power steering and cooling stop (MAJOR bummer)

6+ cfm v 1.37cfm is a nice jump esp when the york was free. It's a little fella too. Think the bad boys are closer to 10cfm - get a job at a circus inflating ballons !

Will send tank pics when it's daylight. 1am+is not condusive to phone pics

It's mounted to a right angled piece of flat steel as a verticle bracket and bolted to the floor and cage. Lose a bit of room but it's pretty secure.
Old 22-01-2005
OG Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts

Waiting anxiously matey.
Old 22-01-2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Orrr bugger ! Sorry man. Forgot all about the pic till dusk. Skanky phonecam dont like no light and nikon is at work. Will snap it tomorrow 4 U dude !

I will try to appease you with a short clip Bad Juju fillmed today whilst Cooma Pete and I were out at winch prac (managing to snap the end of the modified brake shaft in the himount I might add )

I call it Goatsack vs Magna...

http://210.10.49.162/albums/Goatworl...ackvsmagna.avi
Old 23-01-2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here u go His LeXxness...

oh yeah and some more magna vs Goatsack shots

Old 23-01-2005
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hahaha is that your old car your goatness?
*bows before the*