Auto vs Manual - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2007
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always preferred manuals (except when I used to do a freeway commute when frankly yes, a manual was a PITA at peak hour) although a drive of a 3.0l GU Patrol in the dunes a few years back started to change my mind.

Peak hour aside, I prefer a manual I think because I like driving and the manual means I'm more involved with the machine, or the art of driving the machine. If I get it right, great, if I get it wrong, I can't blame something else. Maybe it goes back to my early days thrashing around in Fiat & Alfa sports coupes, I dunno.

To me, autos have mostly been the preserve of company rep-mobiles or family hacks that aren't really for driving, just for transport.

Our TJ is manual and (hopefully one day) our Unlimited will be manual, but when we replace our Pajero tourer - an auto may be on the cards simply because today, it will do more things as well and some things better than a manual and it's for a different sort of driving. Which I guess is the point - it really depends what you want from it that will give you the answer...
Mike
Old 02-05-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shetani
I've always preferred manuals (except when I used to do a freeway commute when frankly yes, a manual was a PITA at peak hour) although a drive of a 3.0l GU Patrol in the dunes a few years back started to change my mind.

Peak hour aside, I prefer a manual I think because I like driving and the manual means I'm more involved with the machine, or the art of driving the machine. If I get it right, great, if I get it wrong, I can't blame something else. Maybe it goes back to my early days thrashing around in Fiat & Alfa sports coupes, I dunno.

To me, autos have mostly been the preserve of company rep-mobiles or family hacks that aren't really for driving, just for transport.

Our TJ is manual and (hopefully one day) our Unlimited will be manual, but when we replace our Pajero tourer - an auto may be on the cards simply because today, it will do more things as well and some things better than a manual and it's for a different sort of driving. Which I guess is the point - it really depends what you want from it that will give you the answer...
Mike
4 speed in diesel and 5 in Petrol I belive (or other way round)

I wouldn't look at it like, they ve just chucked any old box in, they would of used the box best suited for the job, I think on the topic of auto or man it all come s down to what you like to drive, If you want an auto dont worry if its a 4 speed in the one you want, drive it and if you like it buy it!!!!

I personally like auto, in my Jeep its great cause its our everyday car and its a diesel so the tourque at low revs with the auto makes it an awsome experience driving, under boost a 2000rpm its like driving a small truck!

In my charger auto is a must cause you cant make a quicker gear change in a man as what an auto can do and when you ve only got 400m to go as quick as you can that stuff is important!!!

But then if I ever build a rock crawling TJ or a circuit race car Of course a man would be my option,

It all comes down to what you use it for and what you like best!!! Eather way what ever new wrangler you buy you ve got my thumbs UP!!
Old 02-05-2007
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

As the owner of a diesel WG and an petrol XJ, both autos (only way you can buy them) I'd have to say that, by and large, those who say you can't control an auto in the rough stuff haven't really tried the options. The auto on the WG allows me to choose D (all 5 gears chosen by the car) or 4, 3, 2, 1 and I frequently do. In fact in most descents in Low First I usually have to accelerate the car down the hill - total control. The auto in the XJ is a little trickier because it has D 3, and 2/1 so it takes some practice to select second at moderate low range speeds but it can be done. Prefer the full option of the Grand but it it still works the way I want it to.

But to me the greatest benefit of the auto is that there is no risk of stalling the car coz the engine speed drops and not ever having to disengage the engine from the clutch on a hill in the way you do with an manual. Yes, I know this is a case of not "driving" the car according to some (and I have "driven" cars in that sense having done sprints and motorkhanas in the past) but the safety of my family is paramount and this doesn't change with the terrain.
Old 02-05-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
As the owner of a diesel WG and an petrol XJ, both autos (only way you can buy them) I'd have to say that, by and large, those who say you can't control an auto in the rough stuff haven't really tried the options. The auto on the WG allows me to choose D (all 5 gears chosen by the car) or 4, 3, 2, 1 and I frequently do. In fact in most descents in Low First I usually have to accelerate the car down the hill - total control. The auto in the XJ is a little trickier because it has D 3, and 2/1 so it takes some practice to select second at moderate low range speeds but it can be done. Prefer the full option of the Grand but it it still works the way I want it to.

But to me the greatest benefit of the auto is that there is no risk of stalling the car coz the engine speed drops and not ever having to disengage the engine from the clutch on a hill in the way you do with an manual. Yes, I know this is a case of not "driving" the car according to some (and I have "driven" cars in that sense having done sprints and motorkhanas in the past) but the safety of my family is paramount and this doesn't change with the terrain.
Couldn't agree with you more, i love low 1st in My WG you can feel it grabing each wheel descending!! It's awsome, with bigger tyres you do have to use power even down hill! I love High compression! I imagine the new diesel wrangler would be just the same, who needs breaks when wheelin!?<@&%^@