New Jeep Owner -2011 WK2 - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-02-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sege View Post
As an aside how many kms do you get out of a tank touring?
That's the only complaint I have.

Touring highways = 400-450km per tank (around 17L/100km)
Touring bush and/or city driving = 300-350km per tank (around 23L/100km)

I know the figures look steep. It should be around 15L/100km and 18L/100km respectively.

I have to do a major service and tune (new spark plugs, etc.) and see what happens after. If the fuel economy doesn't improve much, then I'll have to investigate and see if the MDS works properly or if any "sensor" is playing up (O2, CKP, IAT & MAP). All of these can affect the fuel economy and I don't think that my mechanic ever suggested or replaced these.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 14-02-2011
MudSplasher

Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by What No Jeep View Post
Ahh but its not like our old WH Quadradrive, as the new one only had a rear ELSD, not front and rear like the previous model.
Oh no! I didn't know that. Seeing it had the QDII, I assumed it would have the same setup of locking front & rear diffs. It seems like it will be less capable (offroad) than ours then, especially with the missing LSD and independents all around.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 14-02-2011
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sege View Post
I was thinking I would wait for the Diesel but heck I'm not a pensioner yet. Judging by your avatar you know, how is the Hemi Offroad/Touring?
You too could be so lucky as to be a grey nomad, or is that crazy nomad, like me, then you would need a Diesel?

But yes if you don't need a diesel.

Seriously, they are the best and most economical tow vehicle, I read (petrol) fuel consumption rates in this thread and was horrified, my CRD gets 18.5 L/100 Km towing a 2800 Kg caravan (loaded) and I think that is quite reasonable, relative to what other vehicle brands with similar towing capacities get from their rigs.

Lets hope that the new model has some aftermarket products available very soon, because as a "stockie" they lack the stability for serious towing and that applies to most 4WD vehicles, with primary design function being highway comfort.

Last edited by johnv; 14-02-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 14-02-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by briteway View Post
That's the only complaint I have.

Touring highways = 400-450km per tank (around 17L/100km)
Touring bush and/or city driving = 300-350km per tank (around 23L/100km)

I know the figures look steep. It should be around 15L/100km and 18L/100km respectively.

I have to do a major service and tune (new spark plugs, etc.) and see what happens after. If the fuel economy doesn't improve much, then I'll have to investigate and see if the MDS works properly or if any "sensor" is playing up (O2, CKP, IAT & MAP). All of these can affect the fuel economy and I don't think that my mechanic ever suggested or replaced these.
Not flash but not much worse than my 4.7 over my 10 years of ownership. My highway figures are slightly better, at best getting 550k per tank (78l).
Old 14-02-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mopar has a bunch of stiff available, but as per, you'd be better off importing yourself.
Here's a guy's how-to on installing WK2 Mopar rock rails;

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=18429

The "QDII" that they call it doesn't have the front E-Lsd of WK1 as you've ascertained, but instead uses a rear E-Lsd and the front is brake based TC. We have a hour long chat with the ACTUAL engineers responsible for developing the new platform and they guaruntee the WK2 outperforms the WK off-road. A big call given the lack of travel but they swear its true.

The entire driveline save the gearbox is all new. Most guys are reporting they're really quite good off-road (esp with the air suspension), though no -one is yet to mod hard core.
Old 14-02-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
Mopar has a bunch of stiff available, but as per, you'd be better off importing yourself.
Here's a guy's how-to on installing WK2 Mopar rock rails;
Yep, I am getting the rock rails, and under body skid plates installed on my limited. They were available as part of the factory accessories.

You can also get extra tire pressure monitors to install on your new set as well.
Old 14-02-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyperth View Post
The front skirt my be a problem off road? I looked at one in the dealers I like them alot.
Yes this is removable (apparently easily) and in the brochures actually quotes approach and departure angles with it on or off.
Post New Thread  Reply