Air con / air compressor conversion - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2010
hellbilly deluxe

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Air con / air compressor conversion

Has anyone on here done this?
My Air con isn't working any more and as I don't believe in using air con on trial rides any way, I'm thinking of doing the conversion. Every thread i've read so far shows the air high on the drivers side but mine is low on the passengers side dont know if this will affect anything, I doubt it. Any one get any opinions or tips.
Old 14-12-2010
StaunStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

can and has been done, i had plans to install an a/c comp from a pre update xj on my early tj. As you said the a/c comp on the early tj is up high on the driver side, the xj one runs down low on the pass side, kinda where yours is. so if you wanted to keep the air con you may be able to do the reverse. But i read a good write up on pirate where the guy blocked of the oil gallery in the a/c comp and filled it with grease, then you dont need to use an inline oiler on the suction side, but i would still put a filter on the discharge side. If your not running it constantly all day every day i dont see any reason why it wouldnt be a great mod. I couple things i have picked up along the way, put a pressure switch in it to cut the clutch out at set pressure as it will just keep pumping until something goes pop. The compressed air on the discharge side will be very hot, so make sure the hoses are up to it. I have also seen them plumbed up so the suction side of the comp draws from the breather in the rocker cover, bit of extra lube and gets rid of unwanted crankcase gases. I was going to plumb mine into the air intake tube for the engine.
Old 14-12-2010
hellbilly deluxe

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

So if you plumb out of the rocker cover would there be enough oil to lube the compressor?
Old 14-12-2010
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When my aircon decided not to work anymore I converted it into an air compressor.

What I used is a little inline oil lube that's used for air tools.
For the air supply I routed the intake to draw from my airbox , directly at the top where the intake tube for the engine go's up.

this will work for a while until the compressor decides not to work anymore,
(as like mine) because there is a difference between the Sanden compressors used.
The ones that are converted into Endless air are have piston internals, the TJ ones have spiral internals (like a screw).

Post New Thread  Reply