Had a close look at the JK Rubicon - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Had a close look at the JK Rubicon

All in all it's pretty nice. But I wouldn't swap my TJ just as yet.

I took a really close look at them at the Melb motorshow. Here's my 2 cents...

Plastic grille? I was shocked when i touched the middle of the grille and it bent. It's really thin, and a bit cheap. Wranglers shouldn't have plastic grilles.

The dash scratches easily. Especially above the hand grip on the passenger side. It was quite funny, people must have seen it scratched easily and started scratching the whole dash lol.

I don't like the handbrakes, call me fussy, but it looks like a tonka truck lever.

Paintwork seemed to scratch easily too judging by the number of scratches on the black demo at the show.

Rear seats of the unlimited too upright and can't be adjusted. Not really much width for 3 either.

Bit too much plastic everywhere, and flimsy stuff too, look at the amount of plastic add ons on the roll cage and you'll see what i mean.

What's the point of a Rubicon with all terrain tyres?

Seats are nice, dash also ok - plastic could be better, has ESP and AC as standard which is nice, pricing is quite ok for what you get.

They had one with upgraded chrome tubular bumpers, look sh#t.

I got pics of the details if you guys want me to post some.

Cheers

bilt4mud
Old 12-03-2007
Renegado

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey, please post a few pics if you dont mind. I totally agree with you about plastic grill by the way! ..seems to be a standard on all Jeeps now. wouldn't want be in a head on crash in a JK! bumper seems cheap and nasty aswell.

Last edited by Bert; 12-03-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drove one for the first time on the weekend. The only one we have right now is an Unlimited Sport 3.8 manual. First impressions are that it's extremely smooth on the road, very quiet. Nice, stiff chassis, no trembles when you go over road scars.
Old 12-03-2007
Original Mexican Mafia

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

RE: handbrake you might not like the handle but its gonna work everytime. I had a good look under the car and its not gonna fail after a couple of trips throught he mud.
RE:Enterior plastic is there to add value. Nothing more. Compare to your current Tj.
RE: Plastic grille. Plastic is more flexible and if you were in a head on the front bar and grille arent gonna do squat even if they were steel.
RE: Rear seats. How many rear seats do you know that are adjustable?
RE: Paint. All TJ's have notoriously thin paint. One cut and polish and your F*#ed. 3/4's of your paint job is gone.

I cant beleive you didnt check out the Stabilizer bar. Diff lock controls . Are the tyres 32's?

Sales guy i remember you said you were gonna be the first on this forum testdrive one. What happened M8. And a manual too.

Just deconstucting the critisism.
Old 12-03-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EXTREME JEEP
Sales guy i remember you said you were gonna be the first on this forum testdrive one. What happened M8. And a manual too.
Just big talk as usual. Gunna change my name to Gunna, but couldn't be buggered.
Old 12-03-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, some more first impressions:

Good :
Ride, overall refinement. Like a KJ.
Clean paint. Paint !
Nice seats, good support. They are actually pointing straight, too, not twisted like a TJ, or an XD Falcon for that matter !
Much less daggy bits.

Not so good:
Is there supposed to be something between the dash panel and the windscreen? There's a one-inch gap, big enough to spot the guts from outside the car !
Rubicon way too expensive. There. I said it. $9k for a fat front end, tricky sway bar and some nice numbers in the transfer case. Bugger that, the Renegade's the way to go. I'll never put 37s on mine, I won't miss the front D44.
No tan tops. The black tops always look dusty to me.
Unlimited soft top a PITA.
$4k extra for Unlimited.

2 door Renegade, whichever engine/trans you want, is the go. A bloody bargain.
Old 12-03-2007
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Let me add one......

Not so good:
No Hemi.......
Post New Thread  Reply