Recall: Clockspring - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-01-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 44 Times in 32 Posts

Just got my recall letter in the mail for my 07 JKU CRD.

My clockspring stopped working about 6 months ago and I replaced it with one from Jeepkonnection and have had no issues since.

I might hold out on getting the recall done as it seems pointless.
Old 18-01-2017
Established Member

Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts

Got my letter yesterday, '08 2door. In two minds what to do, got mine replaced by car dealer as light was on & chimes sounding when I bought it. Took 6 weeks as no part available but all good since then, although I have no proof that it was done...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19-01-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Well... I bought my JKU in 2007. It has only taken 9.5 years for them to fix something (clock spring) they knew was crook.

Wonder when they will do a recall to fix the problem causing DW, which is a design issue/fault as much as anything else.

Will also be interesting to see what the JL front suspension/end will look like and whether it will, also, be prone to DW.

The main reason I will not update to a newer JK is because of this, and because of the shitty service reputation that FCA/Jeep dealers have in this country. Outright arrogance, at all levels, I say!!
Old 19-01-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 538 Times in 397 Posts

From all I have read, there is a certain fix for DW, and it is not used in the JL.

I believe it is called something like "Independent Front Susension", whatever that is.

Old 19-01-2017
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Wonder when they will do a recall to fix the problem causing DW, which is a design issue/fault as much as anything else.
I understand where you coming from but DW is a side effect of the basic suspension design. Its physics not manufacturing. Unfortunately the way Jeep apply the suspension concept makes it particularly prone to DW with worn ( i.e. real world components ) whilst other makes are MUCH more forgiving and less prone to issues and this is something Jeep need to significantly improve as you are saying.

All similar suspension layouts are potentially prone to the same side effect.... just that Jeep don't seem to have done the design work required to minimize its consequences in the real world.
Old 19-01-2017
AJOR Gold

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Called my local dealer service manager to enquire about replacement of clock spring, apparently there is lots of stock (they offered to do it next week but I'll wait until next month as I am travelling), also they do not need to access the ECU / reflash it or anything. Specifically told service manager that speedo correction and disabling the TPMS has been done, not a problem.
Old 19-01-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts

My local dealer has ordered the parts. Hoping to have them in within a week or so.
Post New Thread  Reply