JK Rear Bumper Roundup - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2009
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have seen some generic 4x4 rubber ones at supercheap which could be modified at the top to be fastened to either the factory bumper or any rear bar.

http://www.bushranger.com.au/mud_flaps.php

JTO

Last edited by Jeeptheone; 12-04-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2009
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
people who will replace the rear bumper would be true off road people so a need for bigger tyres and changing the factory flares to some other high clearence flares would be a normal go.
Weekend warriors are pretty well catered for already with a large variety of simple stubby bars available on the market. This bar will better suit the ever growing crowd using their Jeeps for touring adding extra protection & reducing departure angle while allowing the fitment of Jerry cans, Hilifts, chainsaws, shovels & axes. More importantly it gets the spare tyre off that plastic carrier & as it matches the car, shouldn't attract too much of the wrong attention

Last edited by Crackles; 12-04-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13-04-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
This bar will better suit the ever growing crowd using their Jeeps for touring adding extra protection & reducing departure angle
reduced departure angle. Well aint that a bugger
Old 13-04-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck View Post
So its illegal to drive without mud flaps?
Well puck, the right answer here is actually not yes or no, but it is depends.

It depends on state laws and also more importantly on ADR 42/04 – General Safety Requirements) 2005.

One thing though make you own decision on what you do and do some research for yourself, there are a lot of well meaning people making statements that are more based on belief rather than on facts. I really enjoy the forum but it is a good place to get opinions and background info rather than solid facts, although there are times when true clarity gets there. Usually from experience.

Even ADR 42 uses words like "wheel guard including a mudflap (if fitted)"

Have a look for yourself to make your own judgement at :
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...2007C00776.pdf

Section 14 is the applicable one for here and the Vehicle is class MC off-road passenger vehicle from the ADR definitions. This means you can use the provisions of 14.1 or 14.2 as seen here.
"14.5 Wheel Guards for MB, MC, MD1, MD2, MD3, NA and NB1 Category
vehicles must comply with Clause 14.1 or Clause 14.2."

So using 14.1

"14.1.2.1.2. the rear of the wheel guards must not terminate above a horizontal plane 150 mm above the axis of rotation of the wheels (as measured at the wheel centres)"

The wheel guard and mudflap can be multi piece to achieve this, funnily enough I can't find anywhere that it lays down how far to the front must extend around the wheel apart from the full section width of the tire must be covered between 30 degrees forward to 50 degrees to the rear measured from the center of the wheel.

the other option that I can see is 14.2

14.2.2. Special Requirements
The wheel guards on the rearmost wheels on vehicles other than MA and L-Group vehicles must provide continuous protection between a point in area A and a point in area B in Figure 2 (that's the same 30 degrees forward from the centre but the rear is 20 degrees elevation from the center of the tyre contact patch), and must be provided for the ‘Overall Tyre Width’ of all tyres.
combined with:
14.2.5. Notwithstanding the requirements specified above the wheel guard including a mudflap (if fitted) need not be less than 230 mm from the ground for other than off-road vehicles, or 300 mm in the case of vehicles designed for off-road operation.

Sorry to be long winded, shorter answer. "No mudflaps, illegal? Really I had no idea officer. Yes I'll get some mudflaps on right away" I do like those Xenons though, just can't tell my wife.

Here's a link to all ADRs as well http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...dr_online.aspx.
Old 13-04-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post

Even ADR 42 uses words like "wheel guard including a mudflap (if fitted)"
The important part in the reading of this is "if fitted". In NSW the law is if fitted as orginal then you must put them back on. So as all JK's are sold with mudflaps the law here is, you must still have them fitted and they look at the manufactures specs not your purchase to find ths out. I have been down this path and explored it through the courts on my last rig. Cost me a dollar or two to get this info and I lost.
most cops won't go you as long as you don't argue with them but you will get pinched if you go over the pits for a bluey or a defect. Just my experience
Old 13-04-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebulldust View Post
The important part in the reading of this is "if fitted". In NSW the law is if fitted as orginal then you must put them back on. So as all JK's are sold with mudflaps the law here is, you must still have them fitted and they look at the manufactures specs not your purchase to find ths out. I have been down this path and explored it through the courts on my last rig. Cost me a dollar or two to get this info and I lost.
most cops won't go you as long as you don't argue with them but you will get pinched if you go over the pits for a bluey or a defect. Just my experience
Fair enough, as I said that informed commentary can come through experience, although it is hard to gauge what experiences people have had through a faceless medium like the internet. Too many people still put all of their faith in information sources that are not accountable or cross checked.

Yes when Jeep complianced the JK Wrangler they did it in the configuration that you see on the shop floor, what ever changes one may make, be it lifts bars or wheels, it is up to the individual to decide if they are going to do it right and still comply with the ADRs or say stuff it and fix it if they get called out by Mr Plod.

Actually to get back on topic I have found no specific ADR on rear bumper bars as some one has stated, there is one provision in ADR 42/04 that states that there shall be no projections inside or outside the vehicle that will cause harm in the case of an accident or words fairly similar, so on that side it really doesn't matter in my opinion which bar you put on as long as it doesn't have massive projections.
Old 22-05-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
Here's the latest prototype bar from Autocraft. One of just a few that have actually gone to the trouble to match the body & gaurd properly. Mine has the optional jerry holder & mounting bracket to fit a chainsaw.

So is there any more information on this bar or any derivatives of it??
Post New Thread  Reply