5.7lt HEMI cam swap - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTUR5.7 View Post
Hi mate, congrats on a good build.

I’m looking to rebuild my 2012 5.7l as it’s just clocked over 330ks.

I have a 2.9l whippel supercharger on its way, along with comp cams and lifters from the states.

I’m wondering how long it took you to complete?

Was anything too tricky that you wouldn’t recommend the build at home?

I’ll be looking to work on it over a few weekends once I have everything here ready to go.
Woooo hooo that things gonna be a ball tearer.

The major thing is piston to valve clearance, since your going to use comp cams use their vvt lock out kit and that will let you get away with stock type pistons.

Also fit mds delet kit. The bungs can actually be purchased from mopar. And related to this I'll pm you some advice on assisting with lifter oiling.

Lifters, I recommend mellings, they were and as FAIK still are the oem suppliers to mopar. Obviously you need all 16 to be of the non mds style. P.s I just reread your post your using the comp units they will be fine.

When ordering your replacement timing chain adjuster make sure they supply the later type with the alloy backing, not the full plastic one.

Watch out for the cam timing procedure, it's not hard it's just not intuitive the first time.

Valve spring heights. The 5.7 hemi valve spring pockets are a little shallow when going for more lift and prone to causing coil bind. You can get the pockets machined or what I did was convert to LS valve springs. You'll need the retainers and the right hieght spring locators.

One trap with the cylinder heads, they look identical like most V8's which you would think makes them interchangeable like most V8's but there not. There are some drillings on one cylinder head and not the other that you won't notice until you go to mount things like the power steering pump.

Make sure you order the eagle hemi oil pump. The vvt one they are slightly higher volume than the early type.

No big traps, should be good great home build for you

And for forced induction I would be making my own breathers from each tappet cover to catch can arrangement, I'd still use a pcv, but up to you. The stock hemi breather arrangement is a bit quirky.

Last edited by jeepsgofaster; 30-01-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 30-01-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info, I’ve just booked the car in to be fully rebuilt at St Mary’s engine services.
So it will be a big build and look to get the most out of it, the only thing now is waiting on the supercharger.
I know cappa performance in South Australia stock a few upgrades for the Hemi.

I’ll let you know how it goes in a few months mate.
Old 31-01-2021
Established Member

Can't wait for the updates

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk
Old 25-05-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Any updates on this? Have you had a tune done yet?
Also interested if there is any noticeable difference in fuel economy?
Old 19-06-2021
Established Member

No updates yet, got busy with other things. Haven't really noticed a economy change either way. I kept my MDS active though

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk