WK2 gearbox - kaput? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 48 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
The 5 speed is a Merc Box & there are plenty here that run 600nm+ without issue. Mercedes & AMG put this box behind 800nm V12's without issue. 580 isn't the limit its the Chrysler designation. It is also known as NAG1, Mercedes-Benz 5G-Tronic & the 722.6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...c_transmission
What is said is partly correct.. depending on which box is fitted...

Product Type of prime mover Speeds (forw.)Input torque (Nm)
8HP45 Standard / four wheel drive 8 500
8HP55A four wheel drive 8 650
8HP70H Standard / four wheel drive 8 700
8HP90 Standard / four wheel drive 8 1000
8P70H Standard / four wheel drive 8 650

There are FG6 Falcons turbos in Oz that break the 500Nm boxes & the upgrade is the imput shaft out of the 1000Nm unit. I believe the V10 VW had the 1000Nm in them.

Link to website..

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...mission.shtml#
Old 08-10-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used this service centre for two services (50k & 60k) whilst living in Karratha. Thought he was good. Now on my way home to Brisbane towing a 2500 kg caravan and the Jeep required the 70k service as we got to Albany WA. The service centre here tells me that they can't change the oil as the sump plug has been removed and a over-sized bolt screwed in
They were concerned that if they removed it, they wouldn't get it to seal again. A fix now waiting to happen when we get home.
Old 08-10-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Update; The car has shown code P0741 "Torque converter clutch circuit performance" The local Jeep guy sent a report to Jeep last night. Now I have to wait in dread that Jeep will cover this under warranty.

This local guy is buried under all his other work and I am worried he can't give this the priority that I want. I can't blame him for that. As he said, the best thing for him would be for Jeep to just say to replace the box. Then he can wait for it to show up and then it will be a relatively quick and easy job. Unfortunately for me, due to a number of factors, I just can't hang around that long hoping Jeep will answer some time soon.

Does any one know a good number to ring to see if I can get a quick confirmation (or otherwise) that it will be covered?

What really gets my goat with all this is that I have babied this car the whole way. I never just stayed in 5th. I have driven it manually probably at least 95% of the time, picking a gear to suit, watching the fuel useage to gauge how hard it is working for clues when to change and only rarely feeling comfortable to let it make up its own mind.

And we have rarely driven more than 250 ks in any day. Usually then staying for 3 to 5 days before we tow again. We left Perth last November and only started getting warm weather over the last 3 to 4 weeks (mid to high 30's) Prior to that it was cool weather the whole way. I have racked my brain about where we've been and how we got there and I do not believe I have treated it harshly in any way.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I am terrified I will be left holding the can here.
Old 08-10-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 130 Times in 82 Posts

Holding the can in Port Hedland........Hope all pans out for you.
Old 08-10-2014
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starion VR4 View Post
What is said is partly correct.. depending on which box is fitted...

Product Type of prime mover Speeds (forw.)Input torque (Nm)
8HP45 Standard / four wheel drive 8 500
8HP55A four wheel drive 8 650
8HP70H Standard / four wheel drive 8 700
8HP90 Standard / four wheel drive 8 1000
8P70H Standard / four wheel drive 8 650

There are FG6 Falcons turbos in Oz that break the 500Nm boxes & the upgrade is the imput shaft out of the 1000Nm unit. I believe the V10 VW had the 1000Nm in them.

Link to website..

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...mission.shtml#

the ZF box is the 8 speed in the MY14 not the 5 speed in earlier versions such as this
Old 08-10-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

P0741 "Torque converter clutch circuit performance"
Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted
- Transmission internal mechanical problem

What was the ATF level?

I have the same box in my WH (180,000km) & the only time I had trouble with it was when the fluid level was wrong. Neutralised on me when overtaking a truck I learnt how to check the fluid level after that.

In fact I just got back from Adelaide towing my van (2T) left in drive, sat on the speed limit, 600 to 700km a day for 2 days to get there 20°. Then the same again home 5 days later 32° & very windy.
Trans only ever exceeded 80° when I slowed down in urban areas.

I think I know what the problem is! You are to gentle & look after your grand to well.

As I said in a previous post, You should qualify for the refund/replace portion of there warranty.
Old 09-10-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

So this morning I went back to the workshop to see if Jeep had responded to the local agents report on the found code. The car was back on the hoist when I got there and he told me that Jeep had responded and wanted him to "drain some oil, take a photo of it and send that to Jeep" WTF?? Maybe I heard that part wrong...

Anyway, I hung around until he removed the pan from the tranny. The oil was very very dark. Burnt for sure. But there was surprisingly little eveidence of metal. I could just make out some very few very small shiny bits. The mechanic said the amount there looked fairly normal for an AT pan.

So now I have to wait until this report gets back to Jeep and they respond again. I still don't know if it will be covered without any argument.