5.7lt HEMI cam swap - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

The lifter rotated in the yoke (plastic keeper) and was running 90deg to the cam thats how it wiped out that lobe. Roller won't roll in that direction. Worst Ive seen also.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2019
Established Member

Just reposting the photo with the damage outlined. Red is the severely worn cam lobe green circle is a lobe with normal wear for its age.

Old 12-06-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Some discussion on the RAM forums about this sort of wear n tear happening on the 5.7s
Old 12-06-2019
Established Member

I have been reading a bit here and there. I am convinced it's a result of the recomended oil for these motors. Jeep/Chrysler recommend 0-20w for emissions reasons not for the long term health of your motor.

Chrysler does now only get its lifters produced in Germany istead of various parts of south America so that might help too.

Old 13-06-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsgofaster View Post
I have been reading a bit here and there. I am convinced it's a result of the recomended oil for these motors. Jeep/Chrysler recommend 0-20w for emissions reasons not for the long term health of your motor.

Chrysler does now only get its lifters produced in Germany istead of various parts of south America so that might help too.

Same thing happens on the 6.4 SRT engines and recommended oil is a 5w-40 so Im not sure how much the oil viscosity effects it. It is a concern though.
What oil have you been using in yours?
From what I have read it comes down to the roller lifters being garbage up until some time in 2016 when they went to a different manufacturer?
Old 13-06-2019
Established Member

Although it is true that SRT's can suffer the same problem it is to my understanding nowhere near as prevalent in the 6.4's as 5.7's. Then when you factor in that the SRT's are high performance vehicles making nearly 100hp more and running the same valve train to 100thou increased lift with higher spring pressure to control the vale train at those higher lifts and at higher rpm. If lifters alone were the cause of the 5.7's lifters failures at lower lifts, spring pressures and rpm we should be seeing a 100 percent failure rate in SRT's. The same 6.4's in truck guise for the rams are nearly unheard of to have lifter issues and once you subtract the ones that have experienced sketchy maintenance schedules you can nearly subtract that number down to zero.

The high weight oil recommendation in the 6.4's does help alot but oil is more than a weight rating. I'm nearly sure the failures in SRT's would disappear if we choose an oil for the SRT based on the SRT's performance credentials instead of the green credentials of the oil.

What I believe they have done now is manufacture a much more expensive part to survive a poor oil choice. Even Chrysler has raised the 5.7's weight rating to 5w 20 a start in the right direction.

Old 14-06-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wow! Amazing wear!

I didn't even see the red circle wear at first look, just saw the green one and thought it wasn't that bad. lol
Post New Thread  Reply