Jeeper6 Cape Trip... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-09-2022
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARWEST View Post
Rescue Team to potential Toyo buyer....quick GUMTREE search showed 106 JGC Diesel from 2011 to current with less than 150k on clock for less the $35k....jus sayin....geezus your scarin me !!!
Yeah, I saw an 80 series with 450k on the clock for over 20 grand. The Toyo tax is ridiculous!
Old 21-09-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 661 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I would be asking 7 slot to investigate the cause of the snorkel failure first, poor fitting can give rise to further claims...
Likewise. This is the first report I've seen of the Murchison snorkel actually letting water in - but I doubt that many have actually fully submersed it like yourself, Jeeper! Their install from snorkel to airbox has always been a little bit iffy to me, especially the use of the flexi pipe, which some have reported as being susceptible to rubbing through over time. It was always purported as a necessary evil due to the limited space available in the guard to run tubing, but recently there's been a mob out past Ipswich who have developed a stainless snorkel with full replacement sealed airbox and plumbing. Looks like it's great work that they've done, I'm just not 100% sold on a stainless snorkel on the GC...

Old 21-09-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,136 Times in 601 Posts

I have gotten over my brain fade of thinking about a Jap crap thing...I am looking at an MY15 Laredo diesel - delivered 2016...105,000 kms, full "Dealer" service history. Very tidy drives well for under $32k, and as would be buying from a Dealer comes with 3 mths Stat Warranty and 12 months mechanical.

Has an ARB bar and winch already, but no tow bar? It's on air bag suspension which I hate but seems most are these days.

Has anyone had dramas with air bag suspension...is it ok?
Old 21-09-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Factory air lift or aftermarket mate ???

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 21-09-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

ARB bar with winch would make it front heavy does it have an aux battery for winch or is it flogging the starter battery, I would be checking the wiring ether way ..... Does sound good but once, never put much store in book stamps or dealer warranty myself and extended warranties are usually rubbish when you read the fine print especially as they want certain conditions filled..... If it has air bags in the back and no tow bar then I would be giving the rear suspension a good look as they may have chucked the Nivomatts and added something else, Nivomatts on rear with upgraded springs is not a good idea unless they have a spacer on top of shocks, same as running air bags with Nivomat shocks on original springs, lift too much with bags can cause shocks to blow out.... If the Nivomatts are forced higher or lower than their set position they will end up stuffed...

But all in all sounds like a good unit...... certainly be a good horse for your old bits...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 21-09-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,136 Times in 601 Posts

I have just bought it as it suits what I am after really. (and I can stay here on this Forum...lol) It has the full factory air suspension Farwest, I will have a look when I pick it up whether or not it does have the Nivomats in it..probably does to give the 3500kg self leveling towing capacity.
It has no tow bar so hasn't been towing, something I'll have to have fitted which is fine by me.

Being it has an ARB bar already, and is the same as the one on my dead Jeep, and a winch already, means I don't have to pull the bar off to fit a winch.
The winch I suspect is wired to the main battery as there is no auxiliary as far as I can see, which is suggested as that gets full power from the alternator while the engine is running to use the winch...so all good I hope.

When my other Jeep gets back I'll take my DCDC charger out to run the aux in this one, as well as the Chief roof rack, bash plates, ROH mags with the new muddies I fitted before the Cape trip.
There will be quite a few bits to take off the old and fit to the new in fact...then I'll sell the old one. A bugger really as there are heaps of things I want...even the 3" exhaust system I'll swap with the stock one on the newer Jeep.

Though it will have a "new" s/h motor in it by then so should be ok. That said, who knows what condition any "pre loved" engine is in from a wrecker! Thats the other reason I'll be selling. Even this one will take some time to get to know it.

Yeah, like you write Drover, it will be heavy over the front...based on my current one with the bar, spotties, bash plates etc etc, and now a winch, front axle weight will likely be at manufacturer spec before the bodies go in.

On the subject of snorkels, I would fit another Murchison as I do like the look of them. The fitment is fine, but I reckon what has happened with mine is the convoluted hose used behind the inner guard has come loose at the snorkel end and let water in. It is fine at the air box end as I can get to it there, but it seems to be a bit loose the other end. There is no way you'd see that, or even able to check that all is ok behind there unless you were to totally pull the inner guard off to do so. So daily checks would not have revealed any visible problem.

Even checking inside the air box wouldn't reveal anything as with the amount of dust up there you'd expect some dust before the air cleaner anyway...I'll have the guys at 7 Slot check the snorkel connections to confirm when it gets here.

Sooo, I'll pick the new one up Monday, then once again an Auto gearbox service and all other oils to be changed...sigh...
Old 21-09-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

I have a 2012 GC diesel Overland with Quadra lift air suspension. Not a great fan for a couple of reasons. Airbag failure will stop you dead unless you have replacements on board.! A German company now makes just the airbag alone for the front struts ,plenty of suppliers for the rear airbags.Cheap Chinese ones are junk.Rear air bags wear quicky if sand ,stones etc not cleaned out between ab and lower mount.Rear shocks are the same as the standard coil sprung GC diesel.System is filled with nitrogen gas,more than one ab replacement and system will need a refill in association with compatable software for programing..the nitrogen tank connector is the same as the low pressure side of the AC if you want to refill yourself.Other parts that can fail are compressor, line fittings etc.Rock Auto sometimes has all parts for these systems whether you want OE or aftermarket. Hate to say it but only reason I bought this GC with QL was dirt cheap price. I cross my fingers each time I use it in off road situations re any ab failure ! Ride is OK but dependant on front struts and rear shocks in good condition.
Post New Thread  Reply