What lift kit? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: What lift?
3.5" superflex for $4000 2 11.76%
40mm ironman lift with highline for $3700 3 17.65%
2.5" rancho lift for $3200 1 5.88%
Ome 2" lift for $1000 with 1" body lift 8 47.06%
Other 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default What lift kit?

Hey. I need to get a lift kit for my 98 tj. I am really confused about all the stuff that there is available so I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I dont want to spend heaps but I'd rather do something good quality the first time. I want to fit 35s under it with fenders. This will be my daily driver with stock tyres and the 35s are for bush only. It needs to be comfortable on the road while having enough flex and clearance for the gippsland bush (right where the jeep jambo was last year). I was looking at the RE Superflex 3.5" kit but i wont be able to afford it for a while. Was also looking at the standard 3.5" lift but dunno how good it is.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 23-02-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

have you bothered to do a searc mate, there are thousands of threads related to what your after

the RE 3.5" kit is a good kit but dont forget your gonna need shocks to go with it and if your running 3.5"s of lift with stock 29" wheels its gonna look stupid especially if your runnin 7" flares to cover the 35's

from what iv been told the best combo for 35's is a 4" lift.....or the 4.5" lift RE kit

im currently running 3.5"s with flat flares and i recon i could fit 35's under mine fine with some bumpstops

heaps of members have the RE 3.5 or 4.5 kit and are happy with it except the springs on the rear of the 3.5" kit are real stiff and are uually swapped out for the front stock springs

your also gonna need adj panhard rods front and rear as your going so high...plus you may or may not run into other little problems when you lift it but all jeeps are different.i like the look of bigger wheels on a smaller lift for two resons...you get to keepy yor center of gravity at a good hieght, and 2 the cops wont be on your arse about it

that why im running 2.5" coild with 1" spacers and like i said iv got plenty of room for 35's but if cops do pin me ill just take out my spacers and all good

do a search mate you will find heaps of info, save us repeating ourselves everytime a new thread is made
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

I have been googling but im still confused. Once the stock tyres are worn out ill probably get some bigger road ones so it doesnt look so stupid. For now though I dont care. Yer I already knew you could just fit 35s under 3.5" with a little bump stopping. I would rather stay 3.5" for better on road since I'm already worried about it handling like a dog. How does 3.5" handle on the road? Superflex or standard? Exactly what else do I need? What shocks are best?
Sorry for all the questions im new to this.
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl3r View Post
heaps of members have the RE 3.5 or 4.5 kit and are happy with it except the springs on the rear of the 3.5" kit are real stiff and are uually swapped out for the front stock springs
Just did a search as you requested -Where are these members complaining how stiff the 3.5 coils are? where all these members that have swapped stock fronts into the rear?

To the OP, heres a basic list of the things you'll need to consider if you want 35" tires:
Lift kit, diff ratios, wheels, flares, SYE, speedo correction....etc..
As many threads will say "Talk to Wooders".
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

Thankyou. What diff ratios do I need and also what see is good? I emailed wooders a while ago but no reply. Also what wheels do I need? Id like beadlocks and I'm pretty sure the tires are for 15x8 wheels but not sure.
Thanks.
Old 23-02-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toff View Post
Just did a search as you requested -Where are these members complaining how stiff the 3.5 coils are? where all these members that have swapped stock fronts into the rear?

To the OP, heres a basic list of the things you'll need to consider if you want 35" tires:
Lift kit, diff ratios, wheels, flares, SYE, speedo correction....etc..
As many threads will say "Talk to Wooders".
Toff he is most likely referring to my build page. Motas - search and search and search. I guarantee you that all your questions have been asked many a time. To run 33" tyres comfortably/safely etc I have spent in excess of $10k on parts for my build with almost all work done by me. Don't rush into things. There is often times no right answers only differing opinions as to how to set things up. All have pros and cons. You would be wasting your money to just get a list of what to buy without understanding why you would set it up a certain way. Once you understand how you want it from riding and seeing other peoples rigs go ahead and buy. You certainly wouldn't spend $10k-$15k on a car without test driving it so get in with a club (or organise a trip) and go and wheel with some guys that have cars setup as you are planning. I don't mean any disrespect but you will see and hear from the more experienced guys that they have often changed setups many a time. All the best.
Old 23-02-2011
Full Flexer

I cant go drive I dont have my licence yet. I want it to at least be able to go offroad in the next month. That means SYE lift and wheels. No one even say go drive it stock because we got stuck on the first track into the bush and I already know what i need. Lift and grip. I have only ever seen one tj set up for 4wding near me so I doubt theres a club with jeeps in it near me.
I think I am going to go with the 3.5" standard lift. Would this be a good choice? Also without doing any extreme driving could I wait a little before putting a SYE on?
Thanks.
Post New Thread  Reply